Author Topic: 2019 Bow Trade - Sign up closed  (Read 108703 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: 2019 Bow Trade - Sign up closed
« Reply #270 on: July 14, 2019, 12:46:35 pm »
I'm still doing a bit of work on mine when I get chance, but am off work for the whole of August so should make some real progress real soon

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #271 on: July 14, 2019, 04:02:29 pm »
    Tom,
            Great work man, wonder how many NA done the same thing...That should be durable, silent with the hide and definitely camouflaged...I'm really liking these kits you guys are posting...
           Stuck, looking forward to your work also man...August is one hot month here! Waiting for that cool weather myself...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Mafort

« Reply #272 on: July 15, 2019, 04:04:11 am »
Just an update. I have been working literally 12 hours a for weeks on end and I haven’t had a lot of time to post pictures or updates. I have one bow ready it’s an elm flat bow. About 50@28”. It’s like 6ft long. The other is a hickory flat bow the same length. Except I idiotically cut through a few rings on the back while removing the varnish I had on the back so I think what I’m going to do is put a VERY thin layer of raw flax on the back of it and then continue to tiller it out. So hopefully my recipient will get to have his choice between the two or he can have both or I can donate one or something like that. I’ll try my best to get pictures up as soon as possible. I really am sorry about not uploading pictures or being real active in the thread. I don’t know why we are so busy here. You guys be safe.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #273 on: July 15, 2019, 03:13:47 pm »
July is usually our hottest month, temps up to as much as 75F, RH of 80, nothing compared to what you guys get but uncomfortable if you're not used to it. August is usually cooler and wetter so not too bad for roughing out a bow or two.  Main advantage is my better half is in work for most of it so once I tick off the items on the list I get some good sessions in the workshop  ;D

Offline ohma2

« Reply #274 on: July 17, 2019, 09:22:20 am »
Whoever gets a bow from Bayou Ben will think they won the lottery the man is drippin with wood working skills.cact wait to see how that one comes out Ben.

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #275 on: July 17, 2019, 12:37:17 pm »
Wow Steve.  You are too kind.  I hope I can live up to the expectation.

I have a defined path for my builds.  I've been working #2 live oak off and on it's going well for the most part.  I like the natural snaky profile.  I plan to leave it as natural as I can, maybe a little reflex.  I'll update soon with pictures. 

I want to complete the ERC/bamboo too and see which one comes out best, similar to Mafort's approach.  I have an interesting idea for this one that I hope works out.... -C-

The hickory bow and quiver are looking good stick  :OK :OK

Offline ohma2

« Reply #276 on: July 18, 2019, 10:33:04 am »
Cant wait to see the bamboo cedar bow .

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #277 on: July 20, 2019, 09:08:49 pm »
Wow, these bows are looking great! I haven't been on in awhile, so need to do an update. It took more set than I like, nothing major, i seem to have this issue with ever VM bow. They seem to loose all the reflex that they start with. But I got the VM dyed. I let my wife choose the color of dye. She chose a dark walnut dye. I didn't cover the whole bow, I left the tips that bright VM white. Also got a few coats of Tru oil on and the it's signed.
Eric

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #278 on: July 22, 2019, 07:06:19 am »
Looking forward to seeing pics of that bow Eric. 

Here's the pics of my live oak.  I'm gonna give it a little more time to dry before I put heat to it since I'm still nervous from the heat cracks on the last one.  There's some propeller twist that needs to be fixed. 

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #279 on: July 22, 2019, 07:35:37 am »
I’ve been busy getting this grouse getter (Finley) from pic one to pic two but she’s going to school in 3 weeks for a month and a half so I’ll have the chips flying while she’s away. Meanwhile I’ve got the honey locust shooting and the white ash drying outside. The ash is not losing weight anymore but the humidity has been ridiculous so I brought it into the AC for a week then I’ll finish tillering it and see what it’ll give me.  Cheers for now.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #280 on: July 22, 2019, 12:37:56 pm »
      Beautiful stave Ben, love that character!
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #281 on: July 22, 2019, 01:37:36 pm »
Loving those snaky wiggles. It’s gonna look great all finished up. If you don’t put skins on it, it’ll need a reticulated pattern painted on. Something like on this large wiggly critter would look awesome.

Kyle

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #282 on: July 23, 2019, 06:57:45 am »
That is a cool pattern....Thanks for the idea Kyle

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #283 on: July 23, 2019, 09:39:34 am »
Got a 4 coatings of tru oil on now. Just a couple quick pictures.
Eric

Offline bushboy

« Reply #284 on: July 23, 2019, 10:28:55 am »
Just checking in,I have a couple irons on the fire,looking good gents!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.