Author Topic: 2019 Bow Trade - Sign up closed  (Read 109937 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Re: 2019 Bow Trade - Sign up closed
« Reply #285 on: July 24, 2019, 04:29:18 am »
  Can't wait to see your work bush, it's always top shelf...
                                                                                        Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline M2A

« Reply #286 on: July 27, 2019, 01:53:24 am »
Thats a crazy nice piece of oak Ben. H-D, Liking what I can see of that vine maple looking forward to see some more pics of that. Looking forward to seeing some of the other projects in the works as well.
Mikel

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #287 on: July 27, 2019, 04:35:02 pm »
Just checking in. I did some heat adjustments yesterday. I am always amazed at how well that works with Osage. I took out some twist and whoop de doos so that I can tiller better.  I am at a decent floor tiller right now

Offline Mafort

« Reply #288 on: July 29, 2019, 08:38:50 am »
So I found a very old piece of dogwood (not 100% sure it’s dogwood) that was long enough to make a bow from. The thing is the rings were damaged on the back. So I made the bow out to be 40lbs@28” bend in the handle style and then stiffened the grip with raw flax roving fibers. This stiffened the handle enough to make it bend less that mid limb. The tips were bent back by cutting a v shaped kerf and steaming for an hour to reflex them. After that was dry I put in some hide glue to close them and made tie on knocks from some commercial bamboo string I found at this natural hobby store bear the house. Also Since the rings were cut through and I have an abundance of elk leg sinew, thanks to my grandpa in Colorado, I sinew backed it with a single layer of sinew fibers last night. The bow had 2.5” of reflex to begin with and am hoping to back once more with really long back sinew fibers and then it’ll cure out till everyone is ready to start shipping out. I’ll send some pictures to swampman or I’ll try to post them myself.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #289 on: July 31, 2019, 01:21:17 pm »
Made a good start, lateral bend might be a challenge ;)

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #290 on: July 31, 2019, 04:56:40 pm »
I use to love these bow trades . I like the anticipation of giving and recieving.  I should get in the next one.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #291 on: August 02, 2019, 02:54:26 pm »
Spent a few hours straightening the blackthorn, got the string a 1/4 " off centre, should get it centred next session

Offline Mafort

« Reply #292 on: August 03, 2019, 09:55:49 am »
I use to love these bow trades . I like the anticipation of giving and recieving.  I should get in the next one.

We’d love to have ya hunterbob! These things are really fun and good experience. It’s fun to see how another bowyer solves problems in a piece of wood.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #293 on: August 05, 2019, 10:08:14 am »
Got the string running through the centre of the handle   :) :BB

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #294 on: August 06, 2019, 04:16:36 am »
Checked the string alignment and its relaxed a bit off centre (1/4 inch towards the arrow side).  Ho hum.  I'm going to reduce the thickness at the tips and fades and have one more go with the heat gun but if the stave has reached its limits I guess I'm going to have to live with it.  I know this type of string alignment can benefit a stiff-spined arrow but........

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #295 on: August 06, 2019, 06:42:46 am »
  Looking good...I think 1/4 towards your side is perfect, after it is at brace height...
                                                                                                                          Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline sleek

« Reply #296 on: August 06, 2019, 09:54:03 pm »

I keep thinking about getting back into them, but I take so darn long to make something that I'm happy with sending out, its stressful,  on both me and the recipient. I dont think I have been on time yet :p
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #297 on: August 07, 2019, 08:04:55 am »
Update on the sinew honey locust. Well, I talked to landowner where I hunt and what I have is
Cockspur Hawthorn not HL....cool. Cockspur has intimidating thorns on the trunk similar to HL.  So here are a few picks of early stages finishing. I’ll probably take the tips a bit thinner yet as I think I left some speed on the table.  I’ve shot it about 75 times now and it’s a nice mid 150fps bow with no hand shock. 55” and 45# at 28” and can easily be pulled to 29”. 3 layers of sinew. Whitetail overlays. It’s headed to a really dry climate so I am confident it’s draw weight in its new home will settle right around 50# based on past experience. It maintains an inch of reflex beforehand shooting and neutral immediately after shooting.

Offline M2A

« Reply #298 on: August 07, 2019, 08:17:25 am »
Nice job straightening that piece out Stuck. Not sure I could get that much dogleg out of a stave. But got lots of pieces to practice on lol.

I keep thinking about getting back into them, but I take so darn long to make something that I'm happy with sending out, its stressful,  on both me and the recipient. I dont think I have been on time yet :p

After messing up 3 staves in last years swap I can relate to the stressful aspect of things. I made sure I had several options back in December in case I Joined again this year. Only messed up 1 this year :) But started working on things right away putting all other projects aside. Getting a fast start helps me to better keep it fun.
Mike                 

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #299 on: August 07, 2019, 09:35:48 am »
Money shot. The tiller is a bit wild/wonky for my taste but it shoots really good. I definitely have the sinew working and there’s no fretting on the belly so I’ll keep shooting it and see how she looks and holds up. It’s not nearly shot in yet so I will have some tiller adjustments to make which I’ll do by side tapering or heat from here. I have the bow canted in the pic so that’s part of the wonky look.  I still have the ash stave drying in case this one stays weird.