Author Topic: 2019 Bow Trade - Sign up closed  (Read 108693 times)

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
Re: 2019 Bow Trade - Sign up closed
« Reply #315 on: August 15, 2019, 10:20:16 am »
Alright everyone, we are now 2 months away from the deadline.  I have seen a lot of great progress from most of you.  They are a couple in the trade that haven't posted much progress.  If you do not feel you will be able to complete a bow, please get in touch with me so we can move things around a bit. 

I realize things happen and really understand that.  I have been largely absent from bow building this summer as my wife was diagnosed with cancer.  She is doing well and the prognosis is good but, it has been a summer filled with medical appointments, not bow building.  I have made little progress on the reserve bow, so like I said I understand things happen.

So, if anyone wants to work on a reserve for the reserve, let me know.  I do hope to have a reserve bow finished but just am not sure at this point.  I

I have kept up on statistics for the trade and have a couple of prizes ready to go for the end of the trade.  The best way to be in the running for these is to keep on posting your progress! 

Again, if anyone feels they won't get a bow compketed, please let me know!  Keep up the great work everyone.

Offline Mafort

« Reply #316 on: August 15, 2019, 11:12:02 am »
I am so sorry to hear about your wife swampman. I sincerely hope she gets better. I have a bamboo backed English longbow with arrows I can put up as the reserve bow. You and her focus on getting her back to her normal self. As for me I have two elm bows and 3 hickory staves that I have to knock out. I’ve also got a bamboo backing that I’m going to try a perry reflexed type of bow with one of the hickory staves. So elm or hickory will be heading out soon. Maybe some arrows too if I can get these dogwood shoots to cooperate with me a bit. They’re totally seasoned so it’s not an easy process.

Offline Swampman

« Reply #317 on: August 15, 2019, 02:09:21 pm »
Thanks Mafort.  It is nice to know there is a backup in place in case it is needed.  I appreciate that!

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #318 on: August 15, 2019, 02:53:54 pm »
I just heated hooks into my offering this week.  I will try to get some pictures up, but I think I am still on target, barring any disasters.

I am glad to hear your wife is doing better.  Please keep us updated.  Cancer is such an ugly thing, and no one should have to deal with it alone.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 05:57:15 pm by jeffp51 »

Offline M2A

« Reply #319 on: August 15, 2019, 05:46:55 pm »
That sucks. Good to hear things are looking towards a good outcome Mike.Will keep you guys in prayer.

I been sitting on a 64"ntn black locust. If i recall correct it weighed in at 52lbs @28". Maple added to handle, underlays and ebony/maple overlays. Nothing fancy, typical flat bow i can make.  Still need to get a bunch of arrows through it and give it a critical look over. But feels real smooth to me. I got 20 arrows through it and set it aside to work on a different project  >:D. Provided nothing goes wrong its here if needed.

Mike   

Offline Swampman

« Reply #320 on: August 15, 2019, 07:23:54 pm »
That sounds great Mike.  Hopefully I will still get one built too.  I just haven't had much time and when I have had time, I just wasn't feeling it. 

I went through the entire thread today and that put me in the mood to work on a bow.  I floor tillered a nice black locust stave tonight.  That one is looking promising (the other staves I had been working on this year didn't work out).

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #321 on: August 16, 2019, 08:42:05 am »
Yeah sorry to hear about that swampman.  Hopefully it was caught early and she gets good care and support, which seems to be the case.

The summer has been busy for me as well.  Work on the bow has been slow.  I fully expect to have a finished bow before the deadline and will communicate if ever I feel that may change.

Here's where I'm at:
- I sanded the back and applied 2 coats of shellac
-I laid a wet rag on my form and bent some of the twist out of one limb.  This method was suggest by Don Burchette as he's been working with me on the best way to handle live oak.  The thought was that it would keep the back cool and minimize the chances of the back splitting like the 1st one did. 
-it bent really well and held its shape, but it did develop some cracks on the back.  At this point I think I will continue with the build as I believe them to be mostly cosmetic. 

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #322 on: August 16, 2019, 06:24:51 pm »
  Ben,
           That is a really nice piece of Live Oak! I love all the character...Those tiny lineal cracks wont be a problem...You probably remember me telling you I had a few in one of mine...They didn't cause a problem and seemed to have closed up some after the RH leveled out...I think this is a characteristic of Live Oak under dry heat, and I have seen Osage do the same thing...My idea of the shellac plus the wet rags was to possibly keep any moisture from escaping the back causing cracks...I must say this stave has much, much less than the last one you posted...And I agree with you on the moisture problem before...You also judiciously followed the grain, excellent work! Snake skin backing would be off the chain on that one...Thanks for the info buddy,
                                                                                                                                                                            Don

« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 03:14:04 am by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #323 on: August 18, 2019, 02:24:31 pm »
Loving all the wiggles in that live oak. Can’t wait to see how it turns out.

It took me a bit to figure out what to do about a handle wrap on the paddle bow, and settled in this. Birchbark with squirrel rawhide lace wraps.

Kyle

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #324 on: August 19, 2019, 12:23:34 am »
    Like that handle wrap and paint Kyle...
                                                                Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #325 on: August 19, 2019, 10:54:44 am »
Awesome wide little bow Kyle!  Got that west coast style  8)

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #326 on: August 20, 2019, 08:13:18 am »
Scraped the cambium off the white ash last night. Still have some tillering to do and a final heat treat then shine her up. Looks like it will be 50# at 28” and I think it’s 72” long.

Offline M2A

« Reply #327 on: August 21, 2019, 07:15:37 am »
That's some good stuff you guys got going on! Sure do enjoy following along on all the builds!
Mike   

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #328 on: August 24, 2019, 11:34:43 am »
i'm tillered out to 20 inches and a low brace. . . so far, so good. Things are coming along-

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #329 on: August 24, 2019, 09:21:38 pm »
 hoosierf,
                      Nice painstaking job on that cambium...Bend looks just as good
                                                                                                                        Don