Author Topic: 2019 Bow Trade - Sign up closed  (Read 108671 times)

Offline jeffp51

Re: 2019 Bow Trade - Sign up closed
« Reply #420 on: October 23, 2019, 05:24:19 pm »
Ben, the wood on this bow was interesting--I usually let the wood tell me what it wants to be--that sounds kinda mystical, but what I mean is I don't start out with a predetermined thickness.  I start tillering pretty early in the process, before the limbs move very much.  This stave started bending early and felt "soft" from the start.  So when I bent in the tips, I added a lot of extra heat to the entire bow.  That made a HUGE difference in how it reacted.  the limbs went from feeling almost soggy to being quite snappy and firm.  Even so, the overall thickness is more than most bows at that draw weight--at least that I have made.  I was also pretty conservative around that big knot.  I think it shoots with authority and I believe it will hold up.  I guess we will see.  I think it will really like some arrows tuned to it perfectly before it really shines--I think matching arrows is often underrated.

I am glad you like it.  I hope it brings you hours of pleasure.

Offline Mafort

« Reply #421 on: October 23, 2019, 08:12:14 pm »
I still haven’t shipped yet. Works been kicking my behind. Hopefully will get it tomorrow or Friday.

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #422 on: October 24, 2019, 10:13:58 am »
Jeff, I believe the bow will hold up for a long time.  It has a good tiller that didn't move at all after I shot it in. 
I have some bamboo shafts that are waiting to be matched to this bow.  Hopefully I can stick a hog with it   (-_) )P(
Thanks again.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 10:17:12 am by Bayou Ben »

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #423 on: October 24, 2019, 11:30:37 am »
If you do stick a hog, I totally want pictures!

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #424 on: October 25, 2019, 08:27:30 am »
My bow is on route and should arrive early next wee. Maybe even Saturday.

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #425 on: October 28, 2019, 11:01:56 am »
I’m not sure I posted my finished trade bow. Here are the specs.

48” OAL
Cockspur Hawthorn from Taylor County Wisconsin. Cut Nov 2018
Backed with deer back sinew in hide glue
Whitetail tip overlays
D97 fast flight string
Rabbit fur details
43# at 28”
Finished in walnut stain and sealed in paste wax

I also made an ash longbow but this one was selected because my victim didn’t seem to have a shortbow in his arsenal. Also it’s headed to an arid climate and i think it will become even more snappy as the Bow climatizes and finally I took an informal poll and everyone thought this was the more interesting bow. I included a few arrow so my victim knows what it likes to shoot and he can sling arrows with it as soon as it arrives.  This bow is very typical of what I like to use to hunt whitetail from a tree stand here in the Midwest.

https://imgur.com/gallery/TpGnQHC

Thanks for looking.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #426 on: October 29, 2019, 03:53:26 pm »
Shipped today,albeit a bit late.never the less,headed to the USA.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #427 on: October 29, 2019, 05:17:08 pm »
Ben,I received the bow ,so awesome,more to follow!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #428 on: October 30, 2019, 02:20:06 pm »
Last call for Bow of the Month entries (if I haven’t already heard from you)!  Sure have seen some great bows come out of this trade!
...Tom

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #429 on: November 01, 2019, 07:41:40 am »
Should have then bow shipped out today if I can make it to the post office before it closes. If not tomorrow.
Eric

Offline M2A

« Reply #430 on: November 04, 2019, 08:59:34 pm »
Been out of town for the last few days. Just got home to find a package waiting for me from way up north. Thanks Bush! This molly bow looks fantastic! Very narrow tips and about 60"ntn looks mighty fast. I hope to be able to get some arrows through it and some pics by the weekend.
I also received a dozen arrow shaft blanks from Swampman. Going to do some practicing then hope to use those and make a set for this bow over the winter.
So...more coming from me over then next few weeks.
Mike 

Offline Mafort

« Reply #431 on: November 07, 2019, 10:45:23 am »
So high desert should’ve gotten my bow by now. I tried sending a message but his inbox is full. The bow I sent was not what I usually make. That one is terrible in comparison. However with the amount of mandatory overtime and life issues that I’ve been facing it was what I could put out reliably. Now that I’m off mandatory overtime for an indefinite period I’m going to make something that’s actually worth it to use. Hopefully till then that bow serves him well. So hopefully he’s keeping a close eye on his mail soon 😊

Offline M2A

« Reply #432 on: November 08, 2019, 09:01:35 pm »
Blew off some work for a few hours this morning to run a few arrows through the bow Bushboy sent me. Dang man, you can build um! No hand shock, great cast, and hits what your looking at  . Thank you! Lookin forward to fixing up some arrows from the shafts Mike sent me for this bow.

I'll put some pics here and make another thread to show it off.

Enjoy,
Mike
IMG_3227 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

IMG_3249 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

IMG_3236 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #433 on: November 10, 2019, 12:38:03 pm »
I received my bow from Mafort a couple days ago. It’s a very cool and primitive looking bow. I like the style. Thank you Mafort. I will get pictures up soon.
The bow I made should be at the recipients home soon. I went to get it all packaged up and realized I hadn’t put in the strike plate yet! So I was a bit late. But it should be there soon.
Eric

Offline Mafort

« Reply #434 on: November 11, 2019, 05:43:55 am »
I received my bow from Mafort a couple days ago. It’s a very cool and primitive looking bow. I like the style. Thank you Mafort. I will get pictures up soon.
The bow I made should be at the recipients home soon. I went to get it all packaged up and realized I hadn’t put in the strike plate yet! So I was a bit late. But it should be there soon.

I’m my own worst critic when it comes to my bows.