Author Topic: Cock fletch orientation  (Read 6776 times)

Offline DC

Cock fletch orientation
« on: February 26, 2019, 10:33:35 am »
Most arrows are made with the cock fletch at 90° to the string. I've just read a suggestion to rotate the arrow nock slightly to improve fletching clearance. Does anyone actually do this?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Cock fletch orientation
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 10:46:30 am »
If your arrows are tuned properly no part of the arrow should touch the bow after release.
Sometimes, just by rotating an arrow so the cock feather is in you can achieve better arrow flight. I doubt that the fletch orientation makes the difference but having the stiff side of the arrow against the bow is what's happening.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 11:07:40 am »
I've always questioned the "fletching hitting the riser" thing but every once in a while I read something that makes me wonder. Trouble with the internet is that anyone can be a expert ;D ;D

Offline Tuomo

• Puujousi
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 11:32:22 am »
If bow and arrow are tuned well, fletching is NOT hitting the riser, orientation does not matter.

Proof:

https ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX_P2ERkh6s

It is all about tuning, always.

That time I made that video, I was used to shoot cock feather in. But then I got bored to answer questions, why my arrows were oriented wrongly, I shifted back to normal way, cock feather out. There is no difference. But if you want to discuss about arrows with your archery friends, shoot cock feather in...!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 11:53:10 am by Tuomo »

Offline rebsr52339

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 11:49:28 am »
I believe Pat and Tuomo are correct. The fletching will never touch the riser "IF" the arrows are tuned to the bow. Try this for a test. Turn the arrow so the cock feather is toward the bow, opposite of what you would normally do and shoot 20 shots. Then do the opposite and see what you get for a group. You will be surprised. I have shown it dozens and dozens of times.
REB

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 02:42:25 pm »
Who has feathers so stiff that they would actually cause the arrow to push off the arrow pass?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 04:31:41 pm »
So my arrows--that I thought I had bare shaft tuned correctly, show wear on the bottom fletch that is against the bow (not the cock feather)  Also,  with one set of arrows the cresting paint is wearing off -not 180 degrees from the cock feather, but about 270 degrees or so.  That means my arrows are definitely striking the arrow rest and/or the bow.  Does that suggest my arrows are too stiff, or too weak?  they seem to shoot pretty straight.

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 04:36:44 pm »
Maybe just your nock point is too low.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 06:35:42 pm »
I'd start with the nocking point. Brace height and nock point location are the only things you can do to tune a bow so other than those it has to be the arrow.
 Seems like some folks don't understand just how important the arrow is. The bow just slings the arrow but the arrow does all the work, it is the main character but the bows get all the glory.   :o
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 06:44:11 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 11:14:10 pm »
Got to agree with TuomoPat, and reb!  The nock point seems to pull the arrow close to pberpendicular but on release lifts the arrow off the rest and clear of the bow(I think)!  The rest is follow through.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline ohma2

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 07:56:44 am »
Couldnt agree with Pat B more. If the arrow and nocking point arent right doesnt matter whos bow your shooting.

Offline Woodely

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2019, 12:26:41 pm »
I'd start with the nocking point. Brace height and nock point location are the only things you can do to tune a bow so other than those it has to be the arrow.
 Seems like some folks don't understand just how important the arrow is. The bow just slings the arrow but the arrow does all the work, it is the main character but the bows get all the glory.   :o
There is one other bow tuning thing one can do.  Thats shaping the arrow shelf.  Its all about the arrow contact point on the shelf.  If you observe thousands of bows online you will notice that the arrow shelf is curved towards the back to minimize arrow contact. 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 12:43:29 pm by Woodely »
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2019, 01:37:47 pm »
What if you don't have a shelf?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2019, 01:39:05 pm »
What if you don't have a shelf?

Well, you need to take a rasp and shape your knuckle....
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2019, 01:40:19 pm »
You're on point today, John.  :OK