Author Topic: Black Locust Board Bow?  (Read 2259 times)

Offline Ancient Paths

Black Locust Board Bow?
« on: February 27, 2019, 08:04:07 am »
Hello, I am new to this forum and bow building. I am currently working on my first hickory self bow from a stave and I have it roughed out and letting it season more before tillering but in the mean time while waiting I acquired some black locust boards and was curious if it was worth my time to try a board bow from them. The farmer that I got these boards from also has a 6" diameter locust he cut two weeks ago I plan on getting and splitting very soon also. But my question is if y'all think the grain is strait enough in these boards and if I would have to back it if I tried. The boards are 12" wide and 10ft long and the thickest is 1 3/4" and the other is 1 1/2" thick. Thanks for your time.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Black Locust Board Bow?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 09:22:45 am »
I wouldn't try an unbacked board bow from them, just my .02 cents.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline snedeker

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 09:25:46 am »
Slats of the BL would be great with some Hickory backing on them

Offline TimBo

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 09:42:53 am »
Those look pretty funky - I would get the fresh cut tree, split it into staves, maybe reduce them down a bit, and wait.  You might get some good 3/8" arrow blanks from some of those boards though.   

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 10:22:17 am »
I agree with Dave that you could make backed bows with either of these locust boards with a hickory(and other) backing but I wouldn't use it for a self bow unless you could chase a ring on them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ancient Paths

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 01:29:30 pm »
Thank y'all for the replies! Would a rawhide backing be as sufficent as the hickory? I also have some boards he gave me that have cool swirl or possible burl in them I am hoping to use for a riser handle if y'all think that would work since its not bending. Thanks again!

Offline Woodely

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 01:57:54 pm »
I would not use it either.  Nice looking character wood though.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline TimBo

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 02:06:49 pm »
That last batch looks like it has bug holes.  If the first one does as well, that would be a no go even if backed.  It would be neat wood for a non-bending application though.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 06:58:51 pm »
Those last pics are spalted wood. Spalted wood is rotten. You would have to have it stabilized in order to use it even for riser blocks. Or you could just send it to me.. ;)

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline willie

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 07:15:57 pm »
the grain looks funky on the first boards, but it is hard to tell just how wavy it really is without looking at the long edge of the board. if you can chase a ring in the board, and stil have enough thickness it might work out, you probally won't get a very thick handle, but one can be glued on if wanted. you have a lot of board to find what you want in it

Offline Ancient Paths

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2019, 07:26:25 am »
Thank you all for the input. I think my plan is to attempt to chase a ring and back with rawhide and then stabilize the spalted locust and use as a riser. I would be happy to trade or even gift you some of the spalted locust. just pm me