Author Topic: Black Locust Staves  (Read 11672 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Black Locust Staves
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2019, 06:30:14 pm »
Could it be black cherry?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hamish

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2019, 06:51:28 pm »
Looks like a split first, haul later job. A lot of hard work and sweat but it should be worth the effort.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2019, 06:56:27 pm »
Red rot at stump and the bark kinda looks like black cherry, white sap wood with red heart. Pat I think you right

Offline TimBo

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2019, 08:32:14 pm »
Yeah, not trying to be argumentative, but that does look a lot like black cherry.  I have never gotten hold of a cherry stave to try, and a lot of guys seem to dislike it, but Tim Baker mentions loving it as a bow wood in one of the TBB volumes.  I would make some bows out of it even if it isn't black locust.  You might want/need to back them.

Offline M2A

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2019, 10:10:45 pm »
You asked how many wedges....IF that was my project i'd bring all I have(think I have 8). But I think 6 would work if the grain is good inside. You could also cut a few hardwood wedges on sight if needed. I'd work on the smaller diameter one first, it should go a smidge easier and should give you an idea of what kinda fight the larger one will give you. Hopefully the growth rings in the inner hartwood will not separate where they look to be cracked while your trying to split the log. After you get that 1st split done things should get easy. you could always rip in half, or curf  with a chain saw, depending on equipment. Then split from that point.

Your gonna get a work out with this project :) But sounds like your having fun. Good luck.
Mike           

Offline Ancient Paths

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2019, 08:07:01 am »
I am pretty sure its either black locust or honey locust. First pics will be of other stumps and shoots then the tree in question. If the 6 ft tall stump is black locust it should be pre seasoned for me:)

Offline Ancient Paths

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2019, 08:10:20 am »
tree in question again it is a dead tree and the top limbs are rotten is why I suspect no thorns.

Offline Ancient Paths

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2019, 08:15:42 am »
more of tree

Offline TimBo

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2019, 09:50:00 am »
Well, that definitely looks like black locust now!  Either way, it should split "relatively" easily compared to some woods (elm for one).  It will still be a good bit of work.  If you have a couple of long pry bars, it can help with those first couple of splits.  Good luck!  You should get some nice staves from that trunk.  For BL, I always remove the sapwood and seal the back as soon as the bark comes off.  Opinion may vary on that step, but I had bad drying checks develop the one time I didn't do it. 

Offline Ancient Paths

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2019, 10:04:51 am »
Awesome! thank you all for helping! I don't want to deepen the mystery but the 6ft stump with the thorn coming off I believe is black locust comparing it to online pictures but if you look closely at the thorns on the large stump they resemble honey locust. It is possible I guess that both were growing close to each other. The bark on my large tree resembles the bark on the stump with the 3 prong thorns. Its possible the large tree is honey locust and the other 6ft standing stump is black locust but who knows. Im going to cut that standing stump with the thorn coming off and compare the color inside to my large one. Either way Im making it all into staves. Look closely at the thorns in this pic. Also could i cut the large one in half with the chain saw and then just split the rest? Thanks!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2019, 10:30:34 am »
The shoots with the thorns and compound leaves on the 6' stump is black locust, the other one isn't I don't think. Unless the other one is locust I wouldn't waste my time splitting it. Dead standing trees generally don't make good bows if they make a bow at all.
Even though the 6" locust stump is seasoned you'll still have to give it plenty of time to dry. Wood laying on the ground or still connected to the ground by it's roots is still taking up moisture even if it is dead.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ancient Paths

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2019, 10:49:16 am »
Ok awesome! The bark on my big dead tree is idienticle to the large stump however I can not find the stump this tree was cut from as I think it is up under a large pile of cut trees. Thank you all for the input and sorry about the bad first pics. When I get it split I値l post some more pictures. Thanks again!!

Offline Ancient Paths

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2019, 10:53:31 am »
Do you think the big stump with the thorns is black locust? That stump is the one he milled into lumber. Here is a pic of the lumber
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 11:09:57 am by Ancient Paths »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2019, 01:34:55 pm »
If that twig with the compound leaves and thorns are on the 6' stump then yes it is locust.

Offline Ancient Paths

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2019, 05:28:56 pm »
Once again not a great picture but the short stump has thorns coming up that have thorns coming off thorns which makes me think that one is honey locust. The one with leaves coming out the thorns is not on either stump but it痴 close by. The tall stump has thorns similar to the one with leaves so I知 sure it痴 black locust so at least I値l have a few staves that are difinatly black locust.I知 headed to Brevard in mid May for my 8 year anniversary with my wife and I will drop a stave off to you for your help. I値l pm you before I head up. Thanks again!