Author Topic: Building arrows  (Read 883 times)

Offline loon

Re: Building arrows
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2019, 10:46:59 am »
Straightening raw shafts is very much a test of patience for me. But it's not hard to fletch arrows and glue on points and a nock.

The hundreds of tonkin shafts I got a few years ago aren't very good quality. They seem to have mold damage (I don't think more than they initially had), and one is pliable when cold even though I used heat to straighten it. Yet they seem really dry. Especially the ones that just shatter into dust when bent.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 03:27:31 pm by loon »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2019, 02:56:11 am »
I would be afraid  of that loon, I never take a chance on a risky shaft, seen some break when shot and it ant pretty, I give them a pretty good bend test along the shaft either shoots/blanks or Cain before I start to be sure they are solid and no bad spots, any question I break them, not worth the risk.  :) a broke shaft through the arm or hand would make for a very bad day for you not to mention for someone standing close by. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JEB

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2019, 02:33:05 am »
Agree with Pappy on this one. I have some 60's cedar shafts that I use all the time but cedar is a different wood.

Online Deerhunter21

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2019, 10:43:35 am »
What does TSA stand for?
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money." Cree Native-American Proverb

Offline TSA

• www.trueshaftarchery.com
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2019, 01:58:30 pm »

Offline PEARL DRUMS/PEARLY/PD/DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2019, 09:50:11 am »
I'm just about out of those extra fine shafts, Wayne. Ill be getting with you in the next few months. I'll need a fresh dozen for this falls arrows.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline TSA

• www.trueshaftarchery.com
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2019, 05:45:49 am »
really glad they are working out for you :)
what are you chasing, come fall?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2019, 05:50:20 am »
I got 2 dozen Sitka shafts from Wayne(TSA) and they are as good as it gets. I made one set of arrows(need to send one to you, Wayne). Need to make another set but now just isn't the time.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS/PEARLY/PD/DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2019, 08:48:54 am »
really glad they are working out for you :)
what are you chasing, come fall?

They aren't just working, they are the best parallel shafts I've used. I'll be chasing whitetail around the woodlots.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.