Author Topic: Draw weight  (Read 5022 times)

Offline DC

Draw weight
« on: February 05, 2020, 05:38:36 pm »
Just to be sure I've got this right. Say I have a bow that is 40#@28" but it's 35#@25". If I shoot a 25" arrow I would shoot in the 35# class?

Offline avcase

Re: Draw weight
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 01:07:19 am »
The draw weight will be measured using the longest arrow you intend to shoot. The bow will be drawn as back as far as the longest arrow can be effectively drawn. If your bow has a shelf, then the bow will be drawn until the point starts to fall free of the highest point on the shelf or arrow rest.

If the bow does not have a shelf, then the draw weight will be taken at the point the arrow point would start to drop if the bow were shot horizontally. I hope this makes sense. This depends on the handle geometry, but is is usually near the middle of the handle at the arrow pass.

The bow should be drawn quickly enough to verify the weight and let back down. The bow won’t be drawn any farther than the point of the intended weight class, or until the draw length accommodates the longest arrow without exceeding the intended weight class.

If the draw weight limit is reached short of the length determined by the longest arrow, then we can give you the option of finding shorter arrows, modifying your existing arrows, or registering for the next higher draw weight category.

I always kept my primitive bows a few pounds below the draw weight cutoff. The humidity in the portland, Oregon area is much higher than at Bonneville, so the bows would almost always gain a few pounds of draw weight by the end of the tournament.

Alan

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 09:48:34 am »
Thanks Alan :D 
So the idea would be to keep the bow wet until weigh in and then stand it out in the sun? ;D ;D  Or are winning bows and arrows re measured?

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 01:35:50 pm »
Keep in mind, if you have been shooting a bow at 28" and you bring it to the flight shoot to shoot at 25" the wood has already been stressed more that it needs to be and may not be optimal.

Offline avcase

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 07:41:52 pm »
Thanks Alan :D 
So the idea would be to keep the bow wet until weigh in and then stand it out in the sun? ;D ;D  Or are winning bows and arrows re measured?

Sure!

We measure the draw weight on the bows before each round of shooting, and then the bow is unstrung and held in a quarantine area until shooting begins. Usually, the bows are shot within an hour of weigh-in, so it would have to dry out fast!  We usually don’t weigh the bows again immediately after shooting.  It takes about two hours to complete the measurements, so it would require holding everyone’s equipment

I have the scale calibrated and re-certified each year shortly before our US Flight, so it is within a tenth of a pound at 35lb, 50lb, and 70lb. Sometime this catches some of the archers by surprise when they learn that the scale they have been using is off a few pounds.

Alan

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 07:13:00 pm »
Spot on Chuck.   Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!