Author Topic: New Rifle  (Read 3249 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

New Rifle
« on: February 23, 2020, 07:48:33 am »
My best friend is Joe Bogle, 5th great grandson of Joseph Bogle of the Bogle rifle fame. When the original Bogle rifle was at the Tn show at the Museum of Appalachia Joe photographed it in detail, took all the measurements and started making his own Bogle rifles.

He looked for someone to forge the mounts for him but the cost was astronomical, he set up an old BBQ grill with a heat gun for a blower and started beating on metal. One of our friends who was a professional blacksmith gave him some tips on the copper rivets and joining pieces together and soon he was forging some pretty good mounts.

His first rifle was flint, then he made a bunch of percussion guns because that what the guys he made them for wanted.

I had done a little favor for him and stopped by for a visit the other day to deliver some greens to him. As we were talking he said he had something for me, he reached behind the TV and pulled out one of his Bogle rifles, put it in my lap and said "I want you to have this".

I was speechless to say the least, I had wanted one of his guns for a long time but didn't want to trouble him about it. He is a very busy guy, always doing for others, the most selfless man I have ever met.

So, I have a new squirrel rifle, one with the sights far enough down the barrel so I can actually see them, I have a stable full of flintlocks but can't see the sights on any of the ones I have built.

The rifle is .40 with 44" A weight barrel and balances like a dream for me, SQUIRRELS BEWARE, I AM COMING AFTER YOU. Our season runs up into March here so I have a little more time.

The last picture is Joe with the original bogle rifle.

upload image

Offline Tracker0721

Re: New Rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 09:10:12 am »
That is very cool! What a awesome gift.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 10:00:02 am »
Eric, you are one lucky man to have a good friend like that. They are few and far between. The rifle is beautiful and looks like a squirrel killer for sure.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 10:47:32 am »
Very nice rifle and a very good friend!  You will need to plan a trip west for our "Squirrel Shoot"  some April!  .40 caliber for the Squirrel aggregate, and any caliber for the Hunter's aggregate!  Paper targets, round ball only, open sights.  A bit of a long drive, though!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 12:05:24 pm »
Great story, Eric.  Congratulations on the friendship.
1’—>1’

Offline johnfolchetti

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 07:37:12 am »
Beautiful weapon. Great story. Congratulations & good hunting.