Author Topic: Advice on starting a business?  (Read 3269 times)

Offline sleek

Advice on starting a business?
« on: March 06, 2019, 03:16:17 pm »
My wife and I have a BBQ sauce we make and are now taking the first steps into getting it made at a local co packer. North Carolina ( our home ) requires a liscence to sell food, so my wife is getting info on that from the local college. Im hoping that leads to further information on whats next, because we dont know. 

My goal is to have a bunch made up, hit up bbq sauce contests, local groceries, as well as  mom and pop bar grill locations to market it. We even have a guy who is asking if he can invest. I told him we need to get a solid business plan together first because we dont yet know what we are doing. All the legal stuff, we have no idea about.

If anyone knows much about this,  id sure appreciate advise and direction.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline rebsr52339

Re: Advice on starting a business?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 03:45:33 pm »
Seek the advice of a small business accountant/attorney
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 08:25:36 am by rebsr52339 »
REB

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 10:33:10 pm »
Plus 10 on reb!    An attorney!  Also a good  cpa!  Listen to both!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline rebsr52339

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 04:39:41 am »
Sleek, it may cost a few bucks but, better up front than lose a ton of $ later. They also can get you into a LLC and will shield you from most litigation. They also can steer you to other small businesses who may help with their experience's. Good luck
REB

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 08:32:47 am »
Before spending any money I'd work out how much you'd need to sell. It's fairly easy to do, just work out all of your costs to produce and sell a bottle. Try to account for everything not just the obvious ingredients and estimate the cost if you don't know it and on the higher side. There are a lot of costs that people don't think of right away, for example delivery. Sure you could deliver it yourself, but that still isn't free. There's the gas for your car, maintenance, parking etc. Once you think you've got it all subtract that from how much you think you can sell it for. Now you have the profit per bottle you can work out how many you have to sell to cover your license costs etc and a livable wage. Knowing all this will really help you. You'll have a better idea of how many to produce, if a farmers market was worth it or not, if driving for an hour to make a delivery is worth it. Plus you'll have a rough goal.

I've heard of people successfully setting up a business using legal zoom instead of an attorney to save $. Either way expect to spend several hundred on that. I setup an LLC for the work I do and I think it came to around $600 by the time I was done. That was with an attorney I knew, I seem to remember I priced it through legal zoom and it's quote was just over $400. You're probably going to need an attorney for advice still even if you don't use them for setting up the company. Selling a food product will have a lot of other considerations.
Trevor

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 09:02:11 am »
I wish you the best,  I really do.  But I'll throw in my thoughts from my culinary  background.

Don't let what I say get you down,  use it to motivate yourself to prove your sauce deserves a place in  the market.  I don't know how serious you are, and if you even want to take it beyond hobby type work.

The world doesn't need another bbq sauce, if you look around the food industry is saturated.  As part of your business plan you need to figure out how to convince a consumer that yours is worth a try.  Why should say Kroger, give your product the a moment of their time?  Or even the mom and pop down the street?

Most bars and restaurants  either make their own in house, have it contracted out, or buy from big food distributors.   Labor is expensive, equipment needs maintained,  food cost is a major consideration and often one of the only expenses that they can cut corners on.  Also, quite regularly some one walks through the door with a "snake oil" that they think is the next greatest thing.  Just getting past the hostess to talk with the manager will be quite a feat.   I never knew anyone who was given the time of day.  The power of the internet makes it so that anyone can do their own research and doesn't need to talk to a traveling salesman.

By winning competitions you're trying to get the attention of larger distributors,  cause let's face it, a few hundred sales at an event even every other week isn't going to pay the bills.  Again, you'll need to stand out, a great label helps tremendously, winning personality, drive and motivation, it will take more than just good taste.  You'll need to plan on alot of road time and go to every event you possibly can.  Can you do this and still keep your day job?

Social media!!!  We live in a different world and consumers want to be able to look you up, see what makes you special.  Pound Facebook, set up a quality website and talk to web designers about how to make your product come up in search engines.  Make youtube videos...more videos...and even more...  Look in to distribution through Amazon, consumers are lazy and if you have an Amazon link they can easily follow with lots of good reviews they may take the plunge.

Work with fund raising.   At culinary school we had a retired fireman turned chef.  He invented a bbq sauce that the fire station sold to raise funds annually.  Back in the 90's Kraft Foods approached him and offered him millions for the recipe.  But they wanted exclusive rights and he wouldn't be able to sell it for the fire dept any more.  So he turned them down, as it was worth more to the department.  I mention this as a possible way to get your name out there, and often people will take a chance on a new product if it's for a good cause.  I have a copy of his recipe and it really is a good one.

Definitely do the LLC and spend the money to trademark.  A caterer I worked for almost got his business scooped.  He didn't incorporate or trademark and was successful for several decades.  I found out that a competitor trademarked HIS company logo and business name, but was delinquent on taxes so my boss was able to lawyer up and take back his name and trademark.  It also protects your personal life from lawsuits.  Worst case is someone gets sick and tries to take your home, bank accounts,  retirement, etc. 

Good luck, I hope you find success.   

Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline feathersnwood

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 05:47:30 pm »
Sleek good luck on the bbq sauce ! Everybody has a dream of doing something like this but few try the adventure!! Lawyer to get advice and llc  is first place I went and his advice and help was pricesless! Like the other guy said try to figure coat of  everything even stuff you don’t think will come into play because it probably will ! Don’t be afraid to ask for advice from other people in the business!
It will be a long road but it should be fun !! When you get it bottled up let me know I’ll buy some !!
Good luck
lets get back to the basics

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 12:32:25 pm »
Thank you for all of your replies, and the thought put into them. I am not discouraged, the insight is helpful, and encouraging. Im hoping that by time for Mojam, I will have my test run made at the local copacker. I plan on bringing lots of that for the pot luck, and of course, i will have it for sale.  Hopefully I can get it made up and  into the bbq competitions this year. Thats my first goal. Ilike the fundraiser idea. Im going to hook up with my local veteran assistance organizations, see what we can work out. Being a vet myself, i have been wanting to get involved with them anyway. Hopefully this is the perfect oportunity.

Hidden costs, i dont see any... lol. Experience will show them though im sure. I will just keep money aside for them. 
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Woodely

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 02:47:24 pm »
"My goal is to have a bunch made up, hit up bbq sauce contests, local groceries, as well as  mom and pop bar grill locations to market it. "
I think you are on the right track, starting out small to keep costs down can hamper efforts sometime in getting the business off the ground to a point where you have some cash rolling in.  But it can be the safest bet. Its just that you have to do a lot of foot work, local market research
and knowing the right people.  I guess you have to cover yourself when it comes to liability issues.  Some people will Sue at the drop of a hat for food poisoning or something like that.  Oh I found a rats tail in my sauce.......... >:D
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 11:16:43 pm »
Good point, woodley!
Sleek - Don't use no rats!  And save a bottle for me at. MoJam!  There are all sorts of AHs out there trying to screw you!  Your defense is heat kills germs - they didn't cook it properly! >:D
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry