Author Topic: Going Rock Hunting, Need some technical advice  (Read 5670 times)

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
Going Rock Hunting, Need some technical advice
« on: April 07, 2008, 02:15:21 pm »
Ok guys, work is taking me to Ponca City, OK (in Kay County) tomorrow.  At OJAM, I bought some "Kay County" rock and it's pretty good stuff.  When I go there tomorrow, I plan on doing a little looking around to see what I can pick up.  I've done some checking on the internet for lithic and geological info, but the technical terminology quickly overcame me.  :P :(

I've seen a reference to Florence-A chert.  Is that the technical name for what I want?   ???

Thanks

Mike

So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Going Rock Hunting, Need some technical advice
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 02:46:25 pm »
I believe Florence A and Kay County are the same critter. There are Florences A, B, C, and D.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 03:02:53 pm »
Thanks Steve.  From what I can tell, it is the same.  Also, I found some info that it can be found in limestone outcroppings, either in the prairies or along creeks and road cuts.  The stuff I bought has been heat treated and looks to me like smoked pork (segue to food discussion now) with its gray and pink tints.  The raw stuff is described as "butterscotch" (again a food reference).  This should be interesting.  I'll post pic's if I find some. 

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 10:26:43 pm »
if you get a sizeable quantity and want to work out a deal let me know.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 12:13:19 am »
You bet ya Carpenter.  I doubt I can get much on this trip in that I'll be constrained by the car Ill be in, but "Scout's Out".  I'm hoping to find a road cut with it laying around like big-o Easter eggs, but I doubt it's that easy.   :-\

Capenter:  You once wrote you live about 80 miles west of OKC, where does that put you, Clinton?

Mike

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 02:09:23 am »
i live in a lil spot in the road 18 mi northeast of clinton called custer city.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 09:18:05 pm »
I hear Gary England talk about it all the time.   ;)

Mike

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 09:20:04 pm »
Well, I was kind of "time constrained" today so I didn't get to hunt much.  I did see a few outcrops along the way back this evening.  Since it's only about 75 miles from where I live, I may take another trip up there soon and search in earnest. 

Mike

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 11:25:56 pm »
Durn, I was wantin to see a picture ;). Your on the prowl though, won't be long before ya find a honey hole - then I'll stop by and see ya sometime ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 12:08:28 am »
Absolutely Paul.  If I find a honey hole, you and Carpenter will be the first I send some too.  I also have a buddy that has a deer hunting spot in that neck of the woods and I'm going to see if he'll let me walk the place for rocks, (and hedge).   ;)

Dang, I didn't even take my camera today, (sometimes I'd forget my head ifin it....well... you know) but I'm going to bring some of my rocks that I bought with me to Pappy's so you can see it and work it first hand.

Mike