Author Topic: Calling deer  (Read 2569 times)

Offline DC

Calling deer
« on: March 08, 2019, 09:51:13 am »
I was watching "The Nature of Things" episode the other day. It was about laughing and crying. They had a portion about a woman who is studying crying and it's effect on mothers. She put a speaker in the middle of a field and played infants crying. She played baby seals and a crying human baby and some others if I remember right. All of them attracted Mule deer does like a blue light special. They were out in a big open "empty" field and when they turned on the recording Muley does would pop up everywhere and start running toward the speaker. Very interesting.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Calling deer
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 11:19:08 am »
I'm not surprised. A fawn bleat(distress) call is a great method to use in the early season but you better be ready and quick. It will bring in does but they come in looking for a fight and on point.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Woodely

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 03:40:24 pm »
Speaking bout infants crying years ago my wife and I were camping near a small river, at dusk you could hear the Cougars whining down at the river side.  They sound just like a baby crying. Its their way of attracting prey. 
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 02:23:08 am »
Yea, I've had crap for luck with grunt calls. Unless a buck is hot after a doe they seem to ignore them from what I have seen. Grunting bucks searching just ignore it. Now a heard of does will turn on a dime and stare at your stand.  ::)
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."