Author Topic: Willow cordage  (Read 3048 times)

Offline DC

Willow cordage
« on: March 09, 2019, 08:52:29 am »
I was watching this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsCPz5Of2Mc. In it he boils the back in a lye/ash solution. Does anyone know what this does? I've tried making willow cordage before and failed miserably but I never did this step.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Willow cordage
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 09:34:19 am »
DC, looking at the video what they are calling willow looks more like a dogwood(Cornus) species. The leaves are more like dogwood leaves than willow. Willow typically has long narrow leaves. Here in the US, specifically in the mid or southwest what was called red willow was, I believe red osier dogwood. 
 I didn't watch the whole video so so I can't help explain their method.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 08:28:10 am »
Good Morning!

Well Pat, there are a few plants going on there. The leaves(look at the ones on the ground) of the stem the fellow cut is a tree willow. It fell through some dogwood on its way down.

I have used it as a whole fresh stripped piece as a basic lashing but not processed it the way this fellow has.

Mostly I use dogbane (apocynum cannabinium)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 09:34:33 am »
I can see that now that you mentioned it, Ben. I wish they had shown the willow leaves instead of allowing the dogwood to dominate for ID purposes.
 I assume these guys are in Australia or that neighborhood of the world. I wonder if these are native plants.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 09:59:06 am »
I think they are in England. My tree book list five Willows that are native. The leaves go from Weeping Willow shaped needles to front heavy things. I'm going to try this when the sap starts to run. That should be pretty soon, I heard the first power washer of the season yesterday ;).