Author Topic: Wish me luck  (Read 5889 times)

Offline peacefullymadewarbows

Wish me luck
« on: March 09, 2019, 04:15:00 pm »
Got antsy since the last one broke. ERC war bow.... AGAIN. 77 7/8" nock to nock 101 # @ 31". Pulled to 31.5" so hopefully this will be a durable bow. Pouring today so can't shoot until maybe tomorrow. How many shots till she earns an oil job? Last one made about 130 shots, then oiled, then 20 shots, then BANG. Also first time I chased a ring instead of using the first ring under bark for cedar.

https://youtu.be/SIPO5V7dfFI - video on tiller

- pic at full draw on tiller

Offline willie

Re: Wish me luck
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 05:26:19 pm »
of course, good luck

your a daring guy, have you tried a warbow using erc with a backing?

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 06:21:25 pm »
Not yet but it is on my bucket list. I have a feeling elm and ERC heartwood would make for a killer combo. Probably could go very low mass in comparison to draw weight

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 03:22:55 pm »
I'm not a war bow maker just a bow maker and ERC unbacked is destined for failure due to its poor tension properties. It takes compression extremeley well though. I would try backing it, although I'm not sure elm is the right wood. Try hickory you might have good success.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline willie

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 07:15:58 pm »
sidewinder

why do you think that elm is a lesser choice than hickory? is not erc rather light in density, maybe calling for something less dense for a backing?   

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 03:18:55 am »
Looking promising... good luck.
Nice to see warbows from different woods.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 07:00:33 pm »
Sidewinder- Once I get a stave with straight enough grain I do want to try a backed version. My only worry with hickory is that it is so much higher SG than ERC that the hickory could crush the ERC. I suppose a trapped back or a very thin laminate could solve that. Elm is hopefully better because it is nearly the same SG but equally as good in tension as hickory so probably a better paring by density.

willie- took the words outta mah mouth  (lol).

Del the Cat- Thank you! It's gone through 77 arrows so far. If it makes 150-200 I'll go ahead and horn it then shoot some to make sure the horns sit well and then oil it up and just shoot till it's dead or I'm dead.  ;)

Offline Mikkolaht

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 04:18:44 pm »
Great looking bow, didn't take you long to make a new one  :D
That tillering setup is very nice, i like it a lot!

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 06:13:33 pm »
Thank you and thank you! Yeah the draw knife slides right through the cedar like butter something else I love about it.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 10:40:23 am »
Willie no real good reason other than it may be easier to get a good Hickory slat for backing than elm. I've not heard of a lot of guys using elm for backing but hickory is pretty common so I guess that was my thought process. But, like so many other things in this addiction of ours, theres nothing says a guy can't try about anything he dreams up.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God