Author Topic: First Arrow Shafts  (Read 3098 times)

Offline KnapperJay

First Arrow Shafts
« on: March 09, 2019, 04:45:42 pm »
Hey guys, new member here. Just getting started on the journey.. Ive been a flint knapper for a few years now and can make a decent arrowhead, but havent quite learned how to finish the big picture yet. On to phase 2 which is learning how to make arrows. Phase 3 will be a self bow. Still a long way to go, but I'm starting to see the light. I got my first bunch of shoot shafts ready to go, just need to season for a couple more months. Theyve been straightened, shaved down to a bit over 3/8"(I plan on sanding them a bit further to dial in the spine to what I need) Left to right is wild rose, mulefat, privet and elm. Its been quite a journey from learning how to identify different wood species, to actually finding them, to heat straightening etc etc, you know the routine. So much to learn, so little time. The end goal is to be hunting with my own stuff within a year or so. Just wanted to share and say I couldn't have done it without you. The information available on obscure topics is amazing these days.

Offline Woodely

Re: First Arrow Shafts
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 05:07:03 pm »
They look amazing now just get them spined up, fletched and all that other good stuff.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 05:44:56 pm »
They would have to be 2" in diameter for me to write all that on the end. I'm sure i couldn't read it. Oh, good job on the shafts.

Offline rebsr52339

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 04:44:50 am »
You are well on your way to an all consuming hobby, rich in rewards and self satisfaction. Good job so far and welcome aboard. ;D
REB

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 04:25:31 pm »
Looking really good so far. You appear to be meticulous in your work. That trait will be very beneficial as you progress in your journey. Welcome aboard.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 05:12:37 am »
Those look great, should make some fine arrows. :) Enjoy the journey, their will always something new to learn.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline KnapperJay

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 09:25:54 am »
Thanks for the positive feedback guys. And yes, people have mentioned that I am meticulous from time to time...hehe. Almost to a fault. I dont ever give less than 100% of what I got when I start any project.

Have any of you ever used elm? I seem like a lone wolf on that one. They are some super strong shoots. Didn't like to be cold straightened though, had to do those with heat.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 10:27:54 am »
So far, so good!  Welcome aboard!  Next, you  will need. Bow to shoot them with! :BB (SH)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline KnapperJay

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 11:05:34 am »
Yes, I have a recurve I ordered that should be coming in soon. Its been about 20 years since Ive shot one lol. Im thinking of starting on one of those osage kits they have on pine hollow. Its a stave thats already had a ring chased and shaped, all Ill have to do is the tillering. I think that would be a fine study piece being able to observe it first hand. Ill make one from scratch afterwards.