Author Topic: Free photo editing software  (Read 4326 times)

Offline DC

Free photo editing software
« on: March 13, 2019, 10:50:05 am »
I've been looking for some free software to assist tillering. The sites I've been to don't explain what their software will do, at least so I can understand it. Maybe someone out there can point me in the right direction.

First, it has to be free ;D.

Second, the ability to draw ovals and circles(like Paint).

Third, the ability to somehow mirror image a picture so I can overlay one limb on top of the other. This would need the ability to make one layer transparent I guess.

Fourth, it has to be dead easy to use. I'm too old to spend a ton of time learning new software.

Thanks

Offline sleek

Re: Free photo editing software
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 02:16:05 pm »
 Hey! This is sleek's wife. If you are looking for a software similar to photoshop the best one I know of is gimp. Go to gimp.org and download the newest version. It's free and super easy to use. If you have any questions just ask! Hope it helps!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline willie

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 05:28:21 pm »
gimp is a good one if it is ported to your OS.   if you are on windos, you can might look at

Code: [Select]
https://portableapps.com/apps/graphics_pictures
get the launcher and install any of these apps to a folder on your desktop. they do not change any settings with your registry, and can be deleted as easy as it is to delete the folder they are installed to

inkscape (at the bottom) is useful, and gimp is here also

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 06:09:41 pm »
You sure have a different idea of "easy" than me. ;D I've never seen anything so complicated. I'll have to wait a week for my grandaughter to come home ;D

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 09:47:40 pm »
OK I figured it out. It's sure intimidating at first glance but I had some experience with PhotoImpact years ago so at least some of the terms were familiar. I flipped one image so now I can compare limbs.
Thanks for the lead :D

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 05:26:06 am »
My wife knows whats up. We have lots of pics like that on our computer... also, you can overlay the limbs and make one transparent, so you can see exavtly how they match.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 06:58:02 am »
I'll assume you're on windows since you mentioned paint. Your best bet is probably Paint.net, it's basically an improved version of paint. Just google "paint .net", make sure you have that space in there or it'll think you're entering a website and take you to an actual paint site :)
Trevor

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 08:48:52 am »
My wife knows whats up. We have lots of pics like that on our computer... also, you can overlay the limbs and make one transparent, so you can see exavtly how they match.

I've done that but so far I'm having trouble getting the transparency just right. Because they are the same color the two limbs just blend together and then I can't tell the two layers apart.

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 08:51:56 am »
I'll assume you're on windows since you mentioned paint. Your best bet is probably Paint.net, it's basically an improved version of paint. Just google "paint .net", make sure you have that space in there or it'll think you're entering a website and take you to an actual paint site :)

Thanks Trevor, I'll keep that in mind if I start having problems with this. The screen is so cluttered with stuff on Gimp that it's a little intimidating when you first open it.

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 02:18:26 pm »
Sure thing. It's handy to have even if you're comfortable with gimp just for those quick jobs.

If lowering the opacity isn't working there are different layer blend modes you can select, try those out. You'll probably get some funky results, but one of them may show at least the outlines clearly.
Trevor

Offline willie

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 06:54:41 pm »
Don

this is the launcher, guess they call it the" platform" now.     
Code: [Select]
https://portableapps.com/apps/graphics_pictures
download it to your desktop and install it to your desktop.

browse and install other apps by using the options on the right hand pane of the newly installed launcher platform.

sorry, I was not too explicit in my previous post.

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 08:27:35 pm »
I don't understand Willie, what does this 'launcher' do? I downloaded "Gimp" from their website, it seems to work fine.

Offline willie

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2019, 03:07:46 pm »
don , if you are using gimp as a portable app, be aware that it might be a cut down version, so if you are missing some functionality you might have to get a version from the creators     w  ww.gimp.org.     of course it would be just like any other install to windows

the portable app project ports versions of many linux applications in a portable format that can be kept on the desktop without actually installing in the usual windows way.

the launcher is not neccesary, but it gives you a way to organize, down load and install multiple portable apps. The original idea was to keep all of these apps on a thumb drive that you could use on any windows computer without having to install the apps on each computer. of course they run faster if you keep them in a folder instead of on a thumbdrive

seems like you have got gimp working by itself, which works fine,  just a bit of work figuring it out. cool

inkscape might also be useful, and the launcher is an easy to try and remove many of the apps available 

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2019, 05:22:22 pm »
I'm a gimp guy.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2019, 06:21:01 pm »
Yeah it seems to be working for me. I can't seem to find the colours for the paintbrush and pen though. I want to be able to clearly mark the tips and center of the handle so I can make sure its overlaid accurately.