Author Topic: Mesquite  (Read 7297 times)

publius

Mesquite
« on: April 07, 2008, 08:57:59 pm »
I'm new to bowmaking and was wondering if mesquite is a good material as I have an abundant supply. Thanks, Publius.

Offline huntertrapper

Re: Mesquite
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 09:05:05 pm »
hmmm. aint to good on bow woods yet but the older guys on here can help. i read one time that any wood can be made into a bow... but "good" bow wood is different. good luck ;)
Modern Day Tramp

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 09:20:21 pm »
not really good Bow wood....but it makes nice knife handles!!! I have made Bows from it....kinda brittle....so you need to watch the grain and make them wide and thin....or if it's aa really nice peice from a Big tree...then ya has ta send it ta me!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 09:27:38 pm »
I hear it cooks Texas Ribeyes real nice ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 03:33:14 am »
What is good bow wood ? Ifn ya have plenty then ya can work on this until ya get what ya want. Ed Scott in texas makes great bows from mesquite, not showpieces but hunters. Its not the wood thats not good (whatever that means ) its always the bowyer. BTW welcome aboard......bob

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 09:44:57 am »
I hear it cooks Texas Ribeyes real nice ;D

That it does....aint nothing Better than a mesquite Grilled Ribeye....with da Shrooms an Onions!!!! ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 11:22:59 am »
Bob, You hit the nail on the head!  There is a bow design for probably every wood out there. The trick is to find the perfect design for your wood.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC