Author Topic: a couple reworks  (Read 3355 times)

Offline 1442

a couple reworks
« on: March 13, 2019, 09:43:59 pm »
I just picked up a couple old clunkers that I had made in the past and was the best I could do at the time and didn't think I could get past all the hinges and stuff so they got throwed in a bucket.
Heck I'm thrilled to be able to finally make a good point out of them. There's a bunch more where these came from. :-\
I didn't get before pics of the red one but it was similar to the other one with step fractures all over it and out of shape.

Offline 1442

Re: a couple reworks
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 09:46:56 pm »
here's the side view and the starting form

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 03:36:57 am »
Very  nice 1442. I've noticed your improvement over the years and this really brings it home. I'm still at the more clunky stage. I get some better ones, but still get clunkers to.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline 1442

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 06:37:04 am »
Thanks Bjrogg
I still make clunkers to.

Offline RickB

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 06:47:11 am »
Nice. Your clunkers look like my finished points.

Offline Wolfmanjack

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 12:41:30 pm »
Can you elaborate on the technique used and your plan of attack to refine the points?  Could you include a pic of your tools for us new guys? Thanks

Offline 1442

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 10:29:33 pm »
just basic tools
3/4 -1" boppers
fine and medium abraders
ishi stick

This point I beveled the base and was able to take some flakes that removed most of the extra mass in the base area. It was just a matter of pressure flaking the low spots then setting up a bevel to one side of the edge to make the final pass of thinning pressure flakes then flip and repeat bevel and final pressure pass.
Once the point is near finished with decent contours the beveled edge can be very slight with enough abrading to support the amount of pressure applied.
the step fractures close to the edge where removed by beveling the edge close enough to go under them or shoot around them at an angle to make them disappear that way.
Heres also a pic I took of the base thinning flakes on one side that removed a lot of mass and a stack of step fractures. 

Offline Stoner

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 08:05:31 pm »
Dandy points, What is the redish stone? I'm going to OJAM next week and will be looking for some more stone to try as opposed to all the obsidian I work. John

Offline 1442

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 05:52:09 am »
Thanks Stoner,
I don't know what that red rock is called.
Pretty sure it comes from Tennessee or somewhere in that part of the country.