Author Topic: Making Maple Syrup  (Read 3217 times)

Offline BrianS

Making Maple Syrup
« on: March 17, 2019, 01:52:40 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgs3V7dAn2Y
Stopped by Dino's Bone Creek to visit while he was making maple syrup

Offline BrianS

Re: Making Maple Syrup
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 06:04:16 am »
Dino boiled 185 gallons of sap down to 8 gallons yesterday. Today he will make the finishing boil to render 4 gallons of syrup. Very interesting watching the process yesterday and fun hanging out by the fire. I have a whole new appreciation of maple syrup.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 07:44:34 pm »

Dino finished up the boiling tonight. Twenty hours of boiling rendered 4.1 gallons of syrup.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 08:20:55 pm »
That doesn't look like sap or syrop he's got in his hand ;D ;D ;D

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 05:28:52 am »
Nice pictures, I never knew it took so much to make so little, ??? But I have been gifted some over the years and it is very good stuff for sure. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 09:48:00 am »
Ever since I made some I've wondered how they make any money at it. It seems to me they could make more money by selling all the firewood they use. Big Leafed Maple has a much lower sugar content but I used just about a whole 40# bottle of propane to make maybe a pint of syrup.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 10:03:49 am »
Its a ton or work and waiting. I can assume its a labor of love, like a lot of our hobbies are. But, there is nothing better than maple syrup. I've had it my entire life and appreciate it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 10:41:47 am »
I stopped by with my grandson on Saturday to see how Dino was doing He planned to boil 255 Gallons and was hoping to yield 5.5 or so gallons. He has a bunch of energy and hand carries all of it to where he boils. Dino told me that he burned about a half of cord of hardwood to boil his first batch. Very interesting process. While we were there we measured the big oak that was in another post. Based on measurements and the growth factor of oak , We came up with about 235 years old