Author Topic: Native American groups of Colorado.  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Mafort

Native American groups of Colorado.
« on: March 09, 2019, 04:55:23 am »
I know there are a number including the Ute, Apache, Cheyenne and so forth. Was wanting to make and use a bow for hunting deer with my grandpa in the Rockies. Anyone have any examples. I’ve tried looking them up but there are very few photos and construction details.

Offline PatM

Re: Native American groups of Colorado.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 07:15:53 am »
There are numerous examples of these types of bows and their construction well documented.  Do you want to look up most of them and decide which style you like best?  Many specific areas used similar weapons  regardless of tribe.  You may not particularly care for a replica.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 07:19:52 am »
The mountain west very often used sinew backed juniper, at least on the west side of the Rockies and the Colorado Plateau. The Anasazi used atlatls, and I think the Pueblo did too.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 10:54:37 am »
Most of the tribes east of the mountains were "horse people". Probably used shorter, wider bows.  Read  Steve Allely(sp) and Jim Hamm's books, maybe TBB 1-4.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 01:44:22 pm »
Many Native horse bows are actually quite narrow despite being short

Offline Halcon rojo

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 10:45:24 pm »
The Commache were in Southern Colorado and traded with the Ute and Arapahoe too. The Lakota would come down from the north as well. PatM is right. The horse bows were short. Allely and Hamm’s encyclopedia of Native American bows is a good resource.
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Limbit

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 03:44:44 am »
I'm from CO. There was one on display in Colorado Springs at a Ute indian museum in Colorado springs. It says it was made out of mountain mahogany and looked very similar to a 5 curve bow with less reflexed tips. Very short as were the arrows. Looks like it probably drew to 20''. Seems like it wouldn't be too complicated to make.