Author Topic: para-cord bow strings?  (Read 4312 times)

Offline PatM

Re: para-cord bow strings?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2019, 06:22:33 am »
He wants non  stretch though.  Spiderwire is just a quicker solution to that for most and works just as well as "proper" FF type material.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2019, 06:32:40 am »
The only problem is fishing line costs way more than bow string. If making them is in his future, then buying an 1/8# spool of bow string is the best solution.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2019, 06:56:13 am »
The only problem is fishing line costs way more than bow string. If making them is in his future, then buying an 1/8# spool of bow string is the best solution.

I agree. I bought two spools of D-97 one blue one red. I love it. I've made a lot of bow strings and still have a lot of line on my spools. I picked mine up at Primitive Archery Meet. I'm sure you can get it from some of the traditional Archery suppliers.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2019, 07:05:35 am »
A $20 spool of Fireline/Power Pro will yield 2-3 strings, max. A $20 spool of D97 will yield at least double that.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2019, 12:36:14 pm »
Sure.  It's just the relative convenience with fishing line.  Many guys may not be really getting into it to the point that they need enough for a bunch of strings.   Finding a supplier and paying shipping etc. can be a hassle.

A ten dollar string isn't likely to be a bank breaker.

I usually top up my fishing reel and make a string out of the excess.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2019, 01:19:52 pm »
I  might have a couple spools of D97 that I would trade.  I'm not sure of the colors.  They might be girly like pink and purple.  I can check and get back to you if you are interested. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2019, 06:34:25 am »
I think he wants something that stretches less than paracord, sounds like he isn't up to speed on string material. Beginners should invest as little as possible in their first attempts as one is going to make a few failure strings before they get the hang of it. Better to fail with B-50 while learning string making than something that costs 3 times as much.