Author Topic: Arrow lathe  (Read 8858 times)

Offline DC

Arrow lathe
« on: March 14, 2019, 03:51:33 pm »
I was asked for some pictures of my new arrow lathe. It's made from an old sewing machine. I kept the foot pedal. Using the tension knob works well. I turned a new idler pulley to slow it down a little more. It has a separate power supply for the feather burner. It could still use more stuff, like a paint brush rest for cresting. Let me know if you want more.

Offline rebsr52339

Re: Arrow lathe
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 05:30:48 pm »
Who says we are not a nation of very clever folks  8)
Nice job
REB

Offline TSA

• www.trueshaftarchery.com
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 08:33:14 am »
that is awesome, so it is a thread wrapping lathe, cresting jig and arrow burner all in one ??
very cool :OK

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 08:44:44 am »
Yup. Wrapping two threads at once looks cool. I'm still learning how to do that. It's a tad fast for learning. The original reduction was 9:1. The new idler pulley I made dropped that to 13:1. 15 or 16:1 would be better I think. The lathe I had before used an old cordless drill for power. It worked but it was very noisy. This is nice and quiet, I can still hear my tunes. I got the inspiration to make this new one by watching a video for a device called an "Arrow Wrapper" It's on youtube, take a look.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 08:48:11 am »
Does it have a fletch burner on it too, DC?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 08:56:55 am »
Yup, The burner is on the pedestal on the left of the first picture and that cord that's flopping all over plugs in to a yard light power supply. The power supply got the wire too hot and kept popping its breaker. I found a second hand router speed controller and now I can adjust the wire heat perfectly. It's one more piece of stuff though. I was trying to make a "one machine conveniently does all" thing and now it has two power cords. Maybe MkIII will be better ;D ;D ;D It filled the time when the RH in the shop was just too low for bows.

Offline TSA

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 11:08:14 am »
excellent- great ingenuity!
i have seen the thread wrapper tool- and conversed with the maker of it, hes from eastern Europe.
the patterns created certainly look very novel- adds a whole new "twist" to traditional crestings  ;)
i did want to ask, where the hot wire contacted the wood- did it not burn the wood there- although i see no indication of that- how did you insulate it there?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 11:32:03 am »
DC, an electric soldering iron makes a good feather burner. It has a resistor in it to keep from overheating. I'd bet you could find one cheap at a thrift store, disassemble it and reassemble to your liking.
There was an article years ago in PA Magazine about thread wrapped cresting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 12:29:08 pm »
Ingenious device!  Patent that puppy real quick!  Great job repurposing old equipment, too!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Woodely

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 01:28:59 pm »
Quite the project........and extremely useful.   8)  can we see a shaft on it.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 03:02:34 pm »
A few more pictures. I looked and looked for a chuck to grab the arrows and then realised that a tab to fit in the nock with an "O" ring to hold it worked fine. The burner wire is held between two nuts. It doesn't touch the wood. The last picture shows it better and shows off my clever wire tensioning device ;D
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 03:07:04 pm by DC »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 03:56:42 pm »
Well done, DC.  :OK

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 06:53:54 pm »
Thanks guys

Offline ohma2

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2019, 08:49:07 am »
That is one cool machine the things you come up with amaze me ,i would liked to have one of them years ago.

Offline TSA

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2019, 10:02:54 am »
HA!!!
that is awesome :OK