Author Topic: Arrow lathe  (Read 9015 times)

Offline Scyth

Re: Arrow lathe
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2019, 11:19:03 am »
DC -

A treadle to replace the electrical service.

(I use to build spinnng wheels & hand weaving looms for a living . .  )

regards,

Scyth
"Retirement is not a word in the dictionary of craftsmen
and I will carry on my work a long as I can . . . "

- Yang Fuxi

Offline DC

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2019, 01:48:50 pm »
That would work but you would have to treadle awfully hard to get feather burner red hot ;D

Offline TSA

• www.trueshaftarchery.com
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2019, 08:33:34 am »
thats funny DC ;D
although i do like the idea of a treadle to do the majority of the spinning work- it would be a cool addition.
maybe a solar charger and a 12v battery ;)

i just love seeing folks who think out of the box!!

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2019, 09:44:34 am »
I remember playing with my Mom's treadle sewing machine :) I think it would be tough to get an even slow speed. Except for the weight I think running the thing with a car battery would be great. Then you could charge it with solar. 12 volts is mains voltage on Haida Gwaii isn't it ;D ;D

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2019, 12:13:27 pm »
The only thing missing is the automatic shaft straightener >:D (lol)!  I learned how to sew on a "White" treadle machine many, many years ago, before boys were supposed to do those things, after I started learning how to cook in the kitchen.  Never figured out spinning wheels, though! 
How about posting some plans and a load list?  Unless you are applying for a patent, of course!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline DC

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2019, 01:23:32 pm »
Plans, Plans, I ain't got no steenking plans ;D ;D ;D and I don't know what a load list is.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2019, 05:02:15 am »
Very cool,Love seeing people using what they have and make something useful .I made made a Crester once and it was to fast 12 volt fan motor off a refer truck cooling unit I slowed it down with a rheostat, had no money so I used an old headlight switch and wired it in to the part that deems the dome light, not near as nice as yours , but works great. :) Everybody laughed at it , but I have loaned it out a lot. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2019, 08:32:48 am »
I have to ask....does it run on AC, DC?    >:D

Man, that is simply awesome. A wonder to behold.  Now will you put up a video of you  running it through its paces?

Scyth:  I love woodworking (duh, who here doesn't?). A spinning wheel, or several, is on my lifelist to make.  I saw one at the Black Hills Fiber Guild's exhibit during the fair several years ago that set my mind spinning...it folds up smaller than a suitcase. The owner said it is small enough she can take it on flights as carry on luggage!  My one concern is that I will have to try it out once the first one is built and I will enjoy spinning thread and yarns. And that is a rabbit hole that leads to far too many other rabbit holes!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DC

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2019, 09:38:28 am »
I have to ask....does it run on AC, DC?    >:D

Snicker, snicker ;D

Offline DC

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2019, 09:42:27 am »
I used an old headlight switch and wired it in to the part that deems the dome light,
 Pappy

Good thinkin' that. I wouldn't have thought it could take the load.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2019, 11:31:47 am »
Well, shucks!  Everybody doesn't know beans from a load list!  My army days are catching up with me!  Can't be old age! >:D (lol).  Parts and pieces (load list), and how to put them together in what order?(plans) (lol) (lol)  On the other hand - a very ingenious device!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline DC

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2019, 12:11:54 pm »
Oh, a parts list. ;D Well, the pictures pretty much show all the parts and the pictures show how they go together. I don't think anything I wrote up would be any clearer. ;D

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2019, 04:24:42 am »
Ya DC it holds up just fine, I do plug it in instead of using a battery but I wired in an adapter to change it from 120 to 12 volts. I can slow it to a crawl or run it wide open if I want. It's not nearly as cool as yours but works good for creasting. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DC

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2019, 08:58:03 am »
The fact that it works well is way more important than how it looks. I don't (yet) crest my arrows but I think I'll put a brush rest with a cresting "gauge"(can't think of a better word) on it. Then maybe a button tuft brain tanned wrist rest. Oh, and a drink holder ;D ;D ;D

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2019, 12:18:58 pm »
Most definitely, a drink holder would be a tremendous addition!
Hawkdancer
Jerry