Author Topic: New project  (Read 57818 times)

Offline sleek

Re: New project
« Reply #165 on: March 21, 2019, 07:23:43 pm »
Left limb immer 3rd would like 4 scrapes.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline DC

« Reply #166 on: March 21, 2019, 07:35:41 pm »
The back of the handle is peaked because of the deflex so that won't work. I will measure every 6" though and trace it.

Offline DC

« Reply #167 on: March 21, 2019, 07:39:13 pm »
Yeah I think so. The tracing indicates that. I tried measuring and wouldn't you know it the toggle on my adjustable string is right where I want to measure. I'm going to stop for the night and make a string. I'll carry on tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice.

Offline sleek

« Reply #168 on: March 21, 2019, 07:41:32 pm »
Man, thanks for building this and letting me be a part of it. Its coming around beautifully.  Im hitting the sack nkw, i should have an hour ago but this build has me excited. Id like to know, hows it line up against the original outline you drew?

Offline sleek

« Reply #169 on: March 21, 2019, 07:44:20 pm »
You should unbrace it, and trace its outline immediately,  then check it against that in the morning. On a self bow you want the profile to not have changed, with this glued in Perry reflex, im not certain what to expect, but id be happy to see it not gain reflex over night, and if any is gained, no more than the amout you mentioned earlier when first tillering.

Offline DC

« Reply #170 on: March 21, 2019, 07:48:20 pm »
I unbraced before I saw this post. I compared it with the original tracing and it's taken an inch of set. It's real set because I can see it coming back. Reflex was 3" when I unbraced it and 3 1/4" within a couple of minutes. We'll see in the morning. It's the chrono that's going to tell the tale anyway.

Offline sleek

« Reply #171 on: March 21, 2019, 07:53:54 pm »
I unbraced before I saw this post. I compared it with the original tracing and it's taken an inch of set. It's real set because I can see it coming back. Reflex was 3" when I unbraced it and 3 1/4" within a couple of minutes. We'll see in the morning. It's the chrono that's going to tell the tale anyway.

One inch isnt terrible. No set tillering should have thrown warnings signs in advance but oh well. Id be interested to see a before and after pic of the outline, traced on top of eachother.

Id be willing to bet if you had stopped at 37 pounds,  or had the extra width the ratio indicated,  you would be looking at a lit less set. Where is the set at?

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #172 on: March 21, 2019, 08:00:32 pm »
That's starting to look like a bow! I can't wait to to see the numbers on that one.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline DC

« Reply #173 on: March 21, 2019, 08:22:13 pm »
Where is the set at?
I can't tell. The whole working limb looks like it's just bent a little more than before.

Offline sleek

« Reply #174 on: March 22, 2019, 05:05:38 am »
Where is the set at?
I can't tell. The whole working limb looks like it's just bent a little more than before.

Thats what you want, set to be evenly distributed across the bow.  Having gained an inch of set, id be considering not pullimg it that extra inch,  or dropping weight to the calculated 37 pounds before going back any further. Too bad you cant toast your limbs. This is the point id say to do it.

It would be great if you checked its outline against its original outline now that it has rested all night. Id be good to see how much it has bent back from that inch of set. I hope not much.

Is your scale callibrated? I notice that it shows a touch over 42 pounds at 27 inches there. Is it 2 pounds off? That could explain the set, being a touch too narrow for target weight and being overdrawn on poundage. Even a little bit can make a big difference.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 06:16:40 am by sleek »

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #175 on: March 22, 2019, 07:41:47 am »
You're the man DC! That is looking awesome.  I'd say that's pretty darn good considering the aggressive design.  It should be a screamer. 
But I'm with sleek, you should have noticed the set creeping in with no set tillering.  It shows up on the scale before it shows up as set. 

Offline sleek

« Reply #176 on: March 22, 2019, 08:02:08 am »
Oh thank God, DC is online... I have been checking for updates for the last 2 hours...

Lol, Goodmorning buddy!

Offline sleek

« Reply #177 on: March 22, 2019, 08:11:26 am »
I really think i need a bow builders anonymous to help with my addiction. It doesnt help that its a slow day at work.

Offline Woodely

« Reply #178 on: March 22, 2019, 08:19:43 am »
Is it to flat in the area shown..?   I guess its supposed to be like that............would make sense if ya want a limb working area of 12-14".... correct.    ???
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline DC

« Reply #179 on: March 22, 2019, 08:21:01 am »
OK I'm up. Got my coffee. Sleek, it came back about 3/4" overnight. I'm just measuring the reflex for this. Put the tips against the wall and measure from the wall to the back of the handle. It's 3 3/4" now. I can be happy with 27" draw. I think my draw is about 26.5". I'm wondering if I can sneak a little more working length out of both fades, handle and lever. I'll post a couple of pictures in a bit. I think the scales are good. The ruler on the tree is right to the back of the handle.
Ben- I'm actually not sure if I'm doing the no-set right. I do this-
Fresh from wood removal. On the tree, exercise about 10 times, pull to the benchmark, record the weight, pull to upper weight, exercise 10 times, back to brace height, pull to benchmark and record the weight. Does that sound right?

For some reason I'm having my doubts that this is going to be a good one. Early draw seems heavy though. New string is made, I'll have to narrow/thin the tips to get the loops on. Then I have to decide top limb so I can narrow the arrow pass. Then I can chrono it. First I have to sort out the last little bit of tiller.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 08:29:22 am by DC »