Author Topic: New project  (Read 58078 times)

Offline RandyN

Re: New project
« Reply #300 on: March 23, 2019, 07:45:06 pm »
DC, Great job on he bow. Nice save on the splinter. I never considered using thread for a wrap like that. I have learned a bunch reading this post. You are an incredibly talented bowyer.  Randy

Offline Rākau

• Aotearoa-the land of the long white cloud
« Reply #301 on: March 24, 2019, 12:36:22 am »
As a beginer with a few under my belt this was, hands down, the most eye opening post I have read on here (and I've damn near read them all). The patience and the incredible eye for detail that you have DC is incredible, so too was the awesome enthusiasm and advice from Sleek. It really just shows what is meant by the term Master. Should be stickied and put front and center of the how to.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #302 on: March 24, 2019, 03:23:16 am »
Awesome bow, DC.
This something different - love it. You did great!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline DC

« Reply #303 on: March 24, 2019, 07:30:19 am »
Randy-I'm glad you learned something. The thread idea was not mine, it's been around for a long time. I've only been at this 5 years, I've got an awful lot to learn. The guys that have been on here a while are the real bowyers. I just copy them.

NZ- If it hadn't been for Sleek enthusiasm, this thread wouldn't have amounted to much I don't think

Simon- great to see you back on here. Thank you very much. It means a lot coming from a real bowyer

Brad- I'll do my best ;D

Offline DC

« Reply #304 on: March 24, 2019, 08:01:55 am »
but I've been through this before, you have to take an awful lot off the tips to make any dif.

Don, I havent tried to plot your results as reported, but do you think the limb lightening has more of an effect on the lighter arrows?

Willie, you've probably already seen this but just in case https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/paleoplanet69529/a-quick-study-of-the-stiff-limbed-hickman-thought--t16901-s40.html

Offline sleek

« Reply #305 on: March 24, 2019, 08:50:59 am »
Randy-I'm glad you learned something. The thread idea was not mine, it's been around for a long time. I've only been at this 5 years, I've got an awful lot to learn. The guys that have been on here a while are the real bowyers. I just copy them.

NZ- If it hadn't been for Sleek enthusiasm, this thread wouldn't have amounted to much I don't think

Simon- great to see you back on here. Thank you very much. It means a lot coming from a real bowyer

Brad- I'll do my best ;D

I can be quite an excitable fellow at times. This proved to be worrh every ounce of it too. Love this bow, love the results. The plan came together perfectly. The execution was flawless. The results came out exactly as the formula predicted within a margin of error due to differences in wood density. Im very proud of how all this went. Your success on this is worth being proud of!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline sleek

« Reply #306 on: March 24, 2019, 08:52:18 am »
And to think, this was just scraps.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #307 on: March 24, 2019, 09:04:08 am »
I read the link u posted,..so with a heavier arrow,,,the mass of the tips does not effect arrow speed so much..but with a lighter arrow,..the tip with less mass has a positive effect on arrow speed.
      The heavier the arrow,..the less critical bow tip weight would be?

Offline willie

« Reply #308 on: March 24, 2019, 09:16:53 am »
Thanks for the link Don, I haven't read that in many years, worth re reading.

I quess I was asking if you were building finessing the limbs for flight shooting? you are already a quite light arrow.

Offline DC

« Reply #309 on: March 24, 2019, 09:38:46 am »
Sleek-I'm looking at my staves to see if I have two that are long enough to cut two feet off so I have the "scraps" to do it again I think.

Brad- That's how I'm reading it. It was actually PatM that posted it first. I was just reposting it for Willie

Willie- I really just build for speed. It just happens to be the same stuff as flight shooting. We've only shot flight twice in two years. Finding 300 or more grassy yards is tough to find here. Would like to do more of it though. Speed is just about bows. Flight is about bows and arrows.

Offline DC

« Reply #310 on: March 24, 2019, 09:48:24 am »
I was just looking at the oil on the back of the bow. See the dark bands running across the limb. These are scallops caused by my very slightly out of round drum sander. I normally run them thought the belt sander to smooth them out. Somehow I forgot or maybe glued the lam on upside down. Do you think this may have contributed to lifting the splinter?

Offline sleek

« Reply #311 on: March 24, 2019, 09:59:34 am »
If you do make another, keep in mind the two options, use the formula, and base it off this bow you just built, or copy this bow exactly, and put enough deflex in the new one to match the just unbraced profile this one has. That will compensate for set either way you go.

I like your finger splice jig. Mind doing a thread on that?

The backing glued upside down may very well be the cause of that splinter. Not a smooth surrface, wood will pop.

Offline DC

« Reply #312 on: March 24, 2019, 10:07:15 am »
The jig only kind of works. It's very close but I still have to do an hour or so of fitting and fettleing (as Del says). If I ever get it so it's more bulletproof I'll do something.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #313 on: March 24, 2019, 10:10:23 am »
DC,, I dont think the scallops are helping,,  :NN
might have contributed to the splinter,, hard to tell,, glad its holding up now,,

Offline DC

« Reply #314 on: March 24, 2019, 10:32:05 am »
You guys are going to have to wait a bit for the finished article. I just took a look a Simon's new bow and broke out the 100 grit again ;D ;D