Author Topic: New project  (Read 58249 times)

Offline PatM

Re: New project
« Reply #120 on: March 21, 2019, 06:52:06 am »
  Yes, that would be my theoretical limit give or take a little.

Offline sleek

« Reply #121 on: March 21, 2019, 07:05:23 am »
Gotcha. I do think its odd you dont factor in over all bow length, as that changes your string angle at the tips, and as a direct result, how much you are actually bending the bow. I do like how you have gone against the standard method of half a bows length though. I hope to see thay mantra disappear.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #122 on: March 21, 2019, 07:10:59 am »
I'm rereading a bunch of no set tillering posts. In one Badger said,". Say you just braced the bow, check your weight at say 18", now excercise at 19", check weight at 18, excersice at 20" check weight at 18, excercise at 21" check weight at 18". Do this all the way to target weight at about 24'. "

Do you remove any wood during this?
In this sequence he isn't removing wood.  When he goes back to baseline draw, 18", the weight hasn't changed so he can now go one 1 inch further. 
When you go back to baseline and the weight has changed, then you need to do something (or accept set).  Reduce weight by removing wood evenly, or find where the limb could work more.  I normally like to gain an 1" or so after a wood removal session or when I go out 3 or 4 inches and my base line weight hasn't changed.  So I would set my base to 19" now and start over again. 

Offline PatM

« Reply #123 on: March 21, 2019, 08:41:09 am »
Gotcha. I do think its odd you dont factor in over all bow length, as that changes your string angle at the tips, and as a direct result, how much you are actually bending the bow. I do like how you have gone against the standard method of half a bows length though. I hope to see thay mantra disappear.

That's just because I'm only using it as a broad gauge and not  looking much beyond that.    I make a bow longer so that I can get a long draw so it probably corresponds pretty well either way.
  I am also talking about bows similar to the one on this thread where the bending section is quite defined. Recurves and stiff tips.

Offline Woodely

« Reply #124 on: March 21, 2019, 08:43:19 am »
I guess you guys are in your own league here on this build.
Is this some sort of new Mathematical approach for tillering and bow building. Calculating weight, draw length, 13:17 bend/lever ratio and limb length according to some past experiments.  Is this better than tillering for Dummies. At the end of the day is the bow indestrucable built this way.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline sleek

« Reply #125 on: March 21, 2019, 08:48:33 am »
Is this some sort of new Mathematical approach for tillering and bow building. Calculating weight, draw length, 13:17 bend/lever ratio and limb length according to some past experiments.  Is this better than tillering for Dummies. At the end of the day is the bow indestrucable built this way.

No, not indestructable in the least. As matter if fact, this builds it as close to the point of self destruction as possible, without crossing the line.  High performance is on the edge of limits. This method takes you there but carefully monitored wood conditions so damage doesnt sneak up on you, you stare at it the entire time. Its an extreme sport building this way.

Offline DC

« Reply #126 on: March 21, 2019, 09:20:36 am »

It's just a way of checking how you are doing for set. You go back and forth on the tree to try and catch any set as soon as it starts. Before you can actually see it. No math there. I'll go as far a grade school arithmetic but not math. My mind just glazes over when I see brackets and stuff. I still think the 13:17 is funny. It's so close to 3 to 4 but maybe the prime numbers made it look cool. Draw length according to working limb rather than total limb makes sense but I have to think about that some more. No rocket science, just shade tree engineering for those of us that just "have to know how things work". Does it make a better bow? Marginally. Won't kill a deer any deader. You might win more beer using these methods ;D

Offline DC

« Reply #127 on: March 21, 2019, 09:23:16 am »
Sleek, I'll try and keep track as best as I can. I still haven't quite figured how I'm going to write this all down in an understandable way but we'll see. I'll be out there shortly.

Offline DC

« Reply #128 on: March 21, 2019, 12:05:05 pm »
OK I've got it all trimmed up and temp nocks on. One limb took the glued in reflex a tad better so I'll make it the bottom limb for now. I put it on the tiller with a long string that hangs about 7"and pulled it to 9". Got 36# exercised a 10" about 20 times, back to 9", got 36# again. 10" was actually 47# so I went too heavy. Pic is 9"

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #129 on: March 21, 2019, 12:17:49 pm »
Well you know you didn't hurt anything; the weight didn't drop at all. 
11 lb gain from 9 to 10"  (A).  I guess you know you have good early draw weight.

Offline sleek

« Reply #130 on: March 21, 2019, 12:23:44 pm »
Oh boy the fun starts! Listen, i want to stress, keep an eye on those fades.  No movement in the inner limb until the last few inches of draw. Also, before going ANY further, trace the outline of the bow as it sits on something. This gives a base line to hold it to so you can see exactly where set is happening.  I trace the back, belly is fine though.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 06:27:10 pm by sleek »

Offline sleek

« Reply #131 on: March 21, 2019, 12:26:17 pm »
By inner limbs, i mean, 6 inches of inner limn should be left alone until maybe 5 inches of draw away, then the inner most hould barely move in the last 3 of draw.

Offline DC

« Reply #132 on: March 21, 2019, 12:32:49 pm »
At least for now. When I remove wood do I exercise it before I set the new benchmark? I have traced it and have 4.25" reflex.

Offline sleek

« Reply #133 on: March 21, 2019, 12:36:01 pm »
At least for now. When I remove wood do I exercise it before I set the new benchmark? I have traced it and have 4.25" reflex.

I always exercise,  but do it on the scale on the tree the first pull, and again after exersizing to get the results of it.

Offline sleek

« Reply #134 on: March 21, 2019, 12:38:47 pm »
Now that you have traced it, every say, few inches of draw length gained, lay it on the outline and trace it with a different color, or look close. You will see where set starts and stay from that area.