Author Topic: New project  (Read 58251 times)

Offline Bayou Ben

Re: New project
« Reply #135 on: March 21, 2019, 12:39:12 pm »
At least for now. When I remove wood do I exercise it before I set the new benchmark? I have traced it and have 4.25" reflex.
I do but not on the scale.  I expect there to be some "break in" when new wood is exposed. 

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #136 on: March 21, 2019, 12:42:27 pm »
Now that you have traced it, every say, few inches of draw length gained, lay it on the outline and trace it with a different color, or look close. You will see where set starts and stay from that area.

I haven't been doing this, but I will start.  Simple but effective way to tell exactly where set is happening.

Offline DC

« Reply #137 on: March 21, 2019, 12:44:04 pm »
At least for now. When I remove wood do I exercise it before I set the new benchmark? I have traced it and have 4.25" reflex.
I do but not on the scale.  I expect there to be some "break in" when new wood is exposed. 
If I'm just walking back from the vice and pull it to nine inches say I get 35#. If I change my benchmark to that and then exercise isn't the weight going to go down to reflect the wood removal? Shouldn't I put it on the tree and exercise it first and then pull to 9" and then change my benchmark and got through the +1 and back thing.

Offline DC

« Reply #138 on: March 21, 2019, 12:45:45 pm »
Why not on the scale? Or do you mean don't record the results of this exercise?

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #139 on: March 21, 2019, 12:48:26 pm »

[/quote]Shouldn't I put it on the tree and exercise it first and then pull to 9" and then change my benchmark and got through the +1 and back thing.
[/quote]

That's exactly what I do. 

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #140 on: March 21, 2019, 12:52:59 pm »

[/quote]
Why not on the scale? Or do you mean don't record the results of this exercise?
[/quote]

I don't record this information.  I don't know what it would tell me.  I expect there to be some break in of new wood, so yeah it will probably drop some from pull 1 to pull 20 when it's new wood.  What would you do differently if it dropped some?   You want to start your new benchmark when the wood has stabilized.  At least that's how I see it.

Offline DC

« Reply #141 on: March 21, 2019, 01:10:12 pm »
Thanks Ben I've taken about 5-10# of it(measured at 10") I've gained 5/8" of reflex as the Perry kicks in. How does the increase in reflex affect these numbers. It still hasn't taken any set. Lunch time :D

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #142 on: March 21, 2019, 01:21:22 pm »
I can guess but I don't have much experience with this as mine are normally closer to final dimensions, so I get only minimal increase in reflex. 

I should start doing it this way though.  You can perfect your tiller early on when the wood is nice and strong before much set starts.

Offline sleek

« Reply #143 on: March 21, 2019, 02:53:22 pm »
I am not certain what you mean by break in.. to me, if its not the same on the 100th pull as the first, then its set.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #144 on: March 21, 2019, 03:28:26 pm »
I am not certain what you mean by break in.. to me, if its not the same on the 100th pull as the first, then its set.

I agree with that.  A small amount of "break in" just sounds better than set.  :)

A question for you since I don't monitor when I exercise the bow after wood removal.  Do you often find the bow drops in weight?   
I'm thinking it will drop a small amount, but you need to exercise it, so it's unavoidable set.

Offline sleek

« Reply #145 on: March 21, 2019, 03:48:32 pm »

I agree with that.  A small amount of "break in" just sounds better than set.  :)

A question for you since I don't monitor when I exercise the bow after wood removal.  Do you often find the bow drops in weight?   
I'm thinking it will drop a small amount, but you need to exercise it, so it's unavoidable set.

I have seen it drop a pound between inch draw marks. Its doesnt happen every time, but it does happen and that is set showing on the scale.

Example: pull to 40#@19 exercise it, then pull the 19 again and its now 40#@19.5 or 20 inches.

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #146 on: March 21, 2019, 04:01:48 pm »
That seems like a lot.  Usually a 1/4 -1/2 lb difference and I'm stopping and removing wood.  And that's usually 3 or so inches past my benchmark. 
Just thinking that I'm monitoring it close enough that it wouldn't drop a lb just by exercising it after wood removal.  I was thinking 1/10 a lb. 
I'll start to monitor it and see where I'm at.

Offline sleek

« Reply #147 on: March 21, 2019, 04:04:16 pm »
My scale isnt calibrated beyond a half a pound, so its with a margin of error.

Offline DC

« Reply #148 on: March 21, 2019, 04:30:39 pm »
I'm out to 40#@16" on the long string. Still no set. I must be doing this wrong ;D Reflex is still climbing. It's 5" now. Limbs are about .400 thick, .125 of that is backing. I've written out a bunch of numbers but they don't say much other than the benchmark is the same on the way down as is was on the way up. I'm seriously thinking of bracing it now but to do that I have to thin out the tips a bit. They are still .7" thick so there is a bunch to come off. Do you think I should brace it?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 04:36:14 pm by DC »

Offline sleek

« Reply #149 on: March 21, 2019, 04:38:01 pm »
Dude, that is looking outstanding! I am wrecked with anticipation of this being completed. I wouldnt brace it yet, at least, not full brace. I believe you should get to 40#@20 before bracing, or at least, get the limbs bent far enough back that the tips are at brace height at 40#.