Author Topic: New project  (Read 58260 times)

Offline DC

Re: New project
« Reply #150 on: March 21, 2019, 04:53:28 pm »
The chalk line across the board is brace height so I'm only 1 1/2" away.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #151 on: March 21, 2019, 05:35:00 pm »
I think u should string it,..it will stabilise a bit,,,so u can tell where you are at,,,I think the bows with reflex,,,don't reveal as much on long string
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 05:40:17 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline sleek

« Reply #152 on: March 21, 2019, 05:40:38 pm »
With this bow being built so close to all the max tollerneces, id just keep scraping away on the long string until its at the brace height. No need to really cut corners here.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline DC

« Reply #153 on: March 21, 2019, 05:45:07 pm »
I think I'm glad I braced it. It was trying to hinge at the outer end of the working limb on the left and the right limb was stiff. I think I caught the hinge but I'm thinking the right limb is a bit stiff. I've still got a few inches of draw left. Here's  brace (a touch low yet) and 24" draw. Still no "set" but the reflex is back to the original 4.25". It fits almost exactly on the original tracing. I suppose I gained 3/4" of reflex and then lost it again. That could be called set.
Oh I haven't chosen a top or bottom yet so maybe I'll just make the stiff one the bottom limb.

Offline sleek

« Reply #154 on: March 21, 2019, 06:03:38 pm »
The right limb is a bit stiffer, but it also has the best tiller profile.  The left is coming around into the fade already, its too soon. At 24 is where you should start that. But, once the right limb is walked around to match the left, you may fimd yourself right on point. Even out the right limb with the left, and post a pic please.

Further inspection, i believe the right limb also is bending more in the inmer limb than needed, try a few scrapes on the mid and outter, focusing on the outter.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 06:12:34 pm by sleek »

Offline sleek

« Reply #155 on: March 21, 2019, 06:09:59 pm »
Also, once the right limb has come around to match the left, if you have any distance left to gain, and i expect you will, id work the outter limb to mid limb on them until you have gained one more inch of draw. I dont feel they are bending quite enough.

Offline sleek

« Reply #156 on: March 21, 2019, 06:12:47 pm »
Further inspection, i believe the right limb also is bending more in the inmer limb than needed, try a few scrapes on the mid and outter, focusing on the outter. You actually have a bit of a flat spot on the outter right.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 06:15:55 pm by sleek »

Offline sleek

« Reply #157 on: March 21, 2019, 06:58:35 pm »

Offline sleek

« Reply #158 on: March 21, 2019, 06:59:38 pm »
He is either tillering, or trying to figure a way to politely tell me to shut up....

Offline DC

« Reply #159 on: March 21, 2019, 07:02:36 pm »
He is either tillering, or trying to figure a way to politely tell me to shut up....

Actually I was making and eating supper ;D ;D 
I did this. I couldn't rotate the picture in fine enough increments. You can see the tips don't quite line up. But it shows that I'm pretty close. I had to work the fade of the left to catch up with the hingey spot. After looking at the picture do you still agree with your last post. I'm going to look at it for a bit.

Offline DC

« Reply #160 on: March 21, 2019, 07:07:39 pm »
I think I'll go take a scrape or two off the right outer.

Offline sleek

« Reply #161 on: March 21, 2019, 07:15:01 pm »
I think outter 3rd on the  right is a bit stiff still, and you should do no more than maybe 10 scrapes off it. Then remeasure weight, and check tiller.

Offline DC

« Reply #162 on: March 21, 2019, 07:20:31 pm »
Six scrapes and it's now 40#@ 27". When the limb is that thin things happen fast. I think I should shoot it a bit, I'll have to make a string. That will stop me from fiddling with it and fudging it up

Offline sleek

« Reply #163 on: March 21, 2019, 07:20:38 pm »
Also, take it off the tree, leave it braced, place the back of the handle against a straight edge, i use a wall, and measure the distance of the tips to the wall or whatever edge. You want them to be within half an inch.

Another trick I learned from Lebhuntfish on here, is to mease on the string every 6 inches, starting at the tips. Measure from the string to the belly. Comparing that distance between left and right limb will tell you what limb is bending more and where.  You can go every inch on the string if you really want to compare.

Also, i leave it braced,  trace the outline, then flip the bow on that outline to compare again.

Offline sleek

« Reply #164 on: March 21, 2019, 07:22:13 pm »
Six scrapes and it's now 40#@ 27". When the limb is that thin things happen fast. I think I should shoot it a bit, I'll have to make a string. That will stop me from fiddling with it and fudging it up

Hows your set, and unbraced profile on the original outline ypu drew?