Author Topic: filling and covering sinew  (Read 1706 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
filling and covering sinew
« on: March 16, 2019, 05:57:10 am »
Hi Guys,
so I messed up my first sinewing job and ended up with a rough surface which I sanded smooth and then flooded with warm runny gelatin glue.  When I started flexing the bow this top layer just cracked right off.  I applied it about 6 months after I applied the sinew and the bow had been handled a lot by then.  I did wash the sinewed surface before I applied the glue but should I have de-greased the bow with detergent as well?  How do you prepare for covering?  I will either be using parchment leather or birch bark - snake skin is not easy to come by over here.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: filling and covering sinew
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 07:12:01 am »
Adding more glue doesn't do anything for performance(except take from it) and will scare the heck out of you when it starts popping as you draw the bow. After the first layer of sinew I go back with slightly shorter sinew to fill the void and when that dries(visually, not completely) I add even shorter sinew to fill any voids. Once the glue gels I'll take a smooth object and smooth out any humps.
 You can use hide glue to add the cover too.   Sinew/hide glue is heavier than the wood so you want only enough to do the job.
 To get the glue to adhere to the older sinew lightly sand it, size it with warm hide glue, let it set and size it again then add more sinew or your covering. If you think you have finger prints on the back you can wash the sinew backing with detergent and rinse with warm water just before adding more sinew or the covering.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Artus

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 09:47:01 am »
Do you have some sinew left to fill the surface?

Offline maitus

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 01:55:56 pm »
As much i have messed with sinew, i have learned that most important is the consistence  of the glue and combing the sinew. I have seen awful  videos about sinewing. If to lie sinew like a snake, the sinew will shrink and pull sinew bandels in every direction. Sinew das not work on sideways. Sinew must be lied perfectly straight.

Offline maitus

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 02:10:03 pm »
This is the third layer.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 02:19:52 pm »
Yes, I have sinew dried i can prepare for the work

Offline Artus

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 02:53:20 pm »
I would spread some thick glue on the back, let it set a little and fill all the grooves with sinew. Than wrap it with a rubber band that is used in boxer shorts. That gives you a very good surface!

Offline Artus

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 03:07:25 pm »
I forgot to say, before you wrap the bow, let the hide glue set a little bit.