Author Topic: NEW OUTBOARD  (Read 3751 times)

Offline PeteC

NEW OUTBOARD
« on: March 17, 2019, 08:17:56 am »
I have been looking for the last month or so to replace an old worn out 3.3 Merc that I've used on my canoe for the last 20 years. I'm wanting a dependable motor 5 hp or less,the choices don't look to favorable considering the reviews I've read. I went out ready to buy the Yamaha 4 hp,4 stroke,but at 58# that would'nt be practical,in the places I go,due to steep,slippery mud banks. My old motor weighs 33#.and I don't want to get much over that. Any suggestions or experience with any of the small ,dependable 4 strokes. Thanks,God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: NEW OUTBOARD
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 09:54:57 am »
I was a Johnson/Evenrude  factory trained outboard mechanic when I lived on the coast but that was almost 30 years ago. The only 4 stroke back then was the Honda 10hp which was a sweet motor but very heavy. I'm out of the loop on OBs now and couldn't afford one if I wanted one. Hope you find the answer you are looking for, Pete. Maybe a bigger paddle.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 06:12:45 am »
Briggs makes a pretty cool outboard, 4 stroke of course. I have a friend that has abused one for over 10 years. They are tough, perfect for river running.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 06:22:57 am »
I dont know about 4 strokes, they are so heavy. I have a 5 hp Johnson seahorse that i wouldn't trade for a brand new motor. Simple and well made. Cant beat it.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 06:46:17 am »
Why not go electric?
Trevor

Offline PeteC

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 04:53:13 pm »
Thanks for the replies y'all. I think I'm leaning toward trying to find a little used 2 stroke. I wish they still made the twin cylinder Johnsons and Evinrudes,what sweet motors. Electric is'nt an option for me as I usually go 5- 7 miles downriver to my favorite huntin' spots.Coming back upstream through very strong current just won't happen,at least with just 1 battery. I've heard some bad reports on the new Briggs as well. I've got to have what I call a "down stream" motor.It has to be dependable enough to get you back up stream.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 09:16:05 pm »
Pete, I don't know if they are still around but the old British Seagull was a workhorse developed in WWII and are simple and easy to fix, bare bones. No gear case so you turn the tiller backwards for reverse. Pull cord start and a prop made to push. Heck, they might be collectors items these days.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 09:19:18 pm »
I just Googled British Seagull outboard , they are still around on eBay

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 09:10:57 am »
My Dad bought a brand new 5 horse Seagull back in the 70's. It had a 5 bladed prop. Not very fast. I can remember the instructions
1. Close the choke
2. Press the priming button until petrol drips into the sea.
3. Pull the starting rope twice
4. Open the choke
5. Pull the starting rope
6. Engine will start. If it does not you have done something wrong. Go back to step one.
Cocky people these Brits ;D ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 12:08:48 pm »
Those British Seagulls were used to push cargo and personnel barges in WWII, not fast but strong. A 5 blade prop pushed a lot of water. Plus, you could work on them with a screw driver, a pair of pliers and a match box striker to clean the points. There were some recovered from sunken barges and with little work they were running again.

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 04:04:28 pm »
I have a 2.5 hp mercury 2 stroke that I really like.
it weighs way less than a deep cycle battery and just sips fuel.
 its the cats meow for pushing my 12 foot alumacraft v bottom around the small lakes fishing for blue gills .
I also use it for a kicker motor on my 14 footer fishing winter steelhead.
I just wish it had neutral.
as soon as its running your moving.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 06:16:53 pm »
I'll check out the Seagull . My 3.3 merc 2 stroke has given me good service for 20 yrs. But I feel like its running on about half compression.,,and it's just worn out. I did'nt want to spend lot of money on parts when I could be buying a new motor. I'm beginning to wonder if the new parts might be a better idea. I'll just keep looking ,for a while anyway. Thanks ,  God Bless

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 06:24:53 pm »
Like Pat says they are slow. Dad had his on a 14' aluminum( a heavy one) and it would just reach trolling(bucktail) speed. If you're trying to go upstream you may be disappointed. Try it before you buy it. But they are a great motor.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 11:51:57 am »
Thanks, I do face a strong current coming back upstream. God Bless

Offline RyanR

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2019, 07:09:36 am »
I have have bad luck with the newer EFI and 4 stroke motors. If you have the ability to maintain one of the more recent carbureted 2 strokes, that is the direction I would go.