Author Topic: Serving a Flemish twist string question  (Read 1765 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Serving a Flemish twist string question
« on: March 28, 2019, 02:47:17 pm »
I made a bow for my neice and she keeps finding ways to untwist the loop ends on the Flemish twist string.   She's  an 8 hour drive so I only get to work with her once or twice a year. 

Can I serve the string just below loops?  Would that help? 

Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Re: Serving a Flemish twist string question
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 03:03:07 pm »
I would try it. You could also try using a very flexible glue. But i think its a good idea to do either. If you try the glue tell me what happens!  ;D
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 03:35:26 pm »
  I doubt if the main body of the string has enough twists in it. If it doesn't have more twists than the ends they will come undone.

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 04:56:31 pm »
When the bow is unstrung, whichever adult is assisting her doesn't slide the loop down the bow limb.  So the string comes completely off the bow.  I'm guessing there's  a bit of screwing around, the string untwisted.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 11:45:34 pm »
Gently counsel the supervising adult on how to string/unstrung about and keep the string on the bow!  Also teach your niece how to do it.  You might build her a stringing board as well.  Just emphasize the she has to stand on the board while striking/unstringing.  I learned the step through method more than 70 years ago, never knew about push/pull until after both shoulders were operated on.  I use the board exclusively now, I outweigh the bow pull!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline ohma2

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 08:37:42 am »
Not much you can do if the string is let to come off the bow ,aside from teaching to twist back up properly and set brace height.
i sure as he!!;^% wouldnt smear glue all over it and tell someone how it worked.