Author Topic: Grain on rawhide backing  (Read 1330 times)

Offline Jackpineboyz

Grain on rawhide backing
« on: March 28, 2019, 06:31:54 pm »
So I have a deer hide that I am scraping tomorrow as my rawhide supply is getting low for backings.
I was wondering if it is really necessary to remove the grain.  This would save considerable time and effort.  In the past I've done a few grain on brain tanned buckskins before that worked great for bags.  It doesn't stretch like buckskin, but does seem somewhat water resistant.  For a bow backing I don't need it soft, and water resistant isn't so bad.
Curious if anyone else has tried this.  If it is as strong on the bow as it was for my bags, it may even add a little draw weight.

I need to scrape tomorrow as it is done bucking tonight.

Offline PatM

Re: Grain on rawhide backing
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 07:03:37 pm »
If you slip the hair with ashes you'll save yourself the bother of scraping and preserve the grain.  Bow backing rawhide is better left intact.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 07:12:27 pm »
I thought you were supposed to leave the grain on for rawhide anyway.  This reminds me though - if you wanted to thin it, would you sand from the non-grain side?  Would there be any benefit or disadvantage to thinning a hide that was a bit thicker?

Offline Jackpineboyz

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 09:01:06 pm »
I'll give it a try.
The hair is slipping.  Usually I use rawhide that is detrained since it is from my buckskin supply.

Thanks for the feedback...  this will be a lot less work.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 10:56:24 am »
sometimes I glue it on with a bit of the hair on, then just scrape it off with scraper,,