Author Topic: Black Walnut Id plus bows  (Read 1380 times)

Offline bassman

Black Walnut Id plus bows
« on: March 19, 2019, 09:11:41 am »
Here are some picas. of Black Walnut ans a couple of bows made from it.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Black Walnut Id plus bows
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 09:14:47 am »
Black walnut is such beautiful wood. I wish it was more reliable in compression strength. 

That's a beauty you turned out there. Would love to see it in my hands some time!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 09:25:12 am »
The color of the bows looks like BW sapwood. Nice bows too. Like John said, let's see you drawing them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bassman

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 09:27:02 am »
It is very reliable. Secret with black Walnut is belly heat treat. The thick outer ring  which would be the back of the bow  is bullet proof.Multiple heat treating the belly minimizes set along with a back set form.

Offline bassman

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 09:34:40 am »
They are made from 3 to 4 inch saplings. If you look close you will see is is the same wood Goomba is making a bow out of under bow ID.I love Pearl ,but we can agree to disagree.In my opinion Goomba is making a Black Walnut bow.

Offline goomba

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 10:46:26 am »
Very nice bow Bassman.
I'm staying out of the ID controversy (W

Offline bassman

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 12:18:42 pm »
Here is 2 more pics.

Offline bassman

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 12:29:25 pm »
The bow that is on my form has been drying natural in my cellar for about a month.When dry, and before taking it off the form it will get a good heat treat.Then 2 or 3 more before it is tillered completely. Then one more after final tillering.They normally come out having very little to no set.Makes smooth drawing, low mass bow.It is not Osage or Yew ,but can make a nice bow.

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 01:26:32 pm »
Really nice work Bob. Will be using your advice in a few months. My brother has a black walnut that needs to come down. He didn't even have to ask for help.....
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline maitus

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 01:51:03 pm »
Elm needs similar treating. Good work. Like the style. I will make the same shape from maple.