Author Topic: best laminate material  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Dante_F

best laminate material
« on: March 19, 2019, 11:58:07 am »
So Im looking at some awesome ipe and bamboo bows and I read some stuff about ipe being hard to glue, so a what do you guys recommend as a belly lam that's easy to glue (i don"t trust my gluing skills). maybe something like massandruba? what do you recommend?

Offline Bayou Ben

Re: best laminate material
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 12:05:57 pm »
Ipe. 
It's not hard to glue.  TB3, Urac, Smooth on, etc, etc all work on it. 

I've seen an article or 2 about it being hard to glue too.  I wonder if they ever even tried gluing it???

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 12:06:32 pm »
I recommend you improve your gluing skills ;D ;D ;D

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 12:07:40 pm »
It isn't really hard to glue at all.  Many of the reports of it being difficult to glue are from people using it in a pure outdoor environment. 

Offline Dante_F

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 12:13:39 pm »
ok so i may give it a try, howver maybe i could practice on easy to glue stuff so what is good in compression easy to glue and an be found in the pnw (lumber stores do count)

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 12:19:42 pm »
Yew?

Offline Dante_F

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 12:23:08 pm »
im trying to steer clear of yew as its VERY rare in my area and the only one in my area is maybe 1.5 to 2 inches wide and its low elevation.

Offline Dante_F

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 12:32:07 pm »
i've been told not to use doug fir but i want to try it as its so plentiful and conifers are supposed to be good in compression. also tim baker says on his list that it can be used https://sites.google.com/site/onemississipp/bowwoods and the stats on the wood database are about the same if not better than ERC https://www.wood-database.com/aromatic-red-cedar/     and    https://www.wood-database.com/douglas-fir/

Offline Dante_F

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 12:34:35 pm »
wait am i not supposed to post links to other sites sorry im not to familiar with this. Your allowed to post links as long as they're not advertising businesses i think

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 12:36:30 pm »
It is easy to glue. I’ve made several. You can wipe with acetone to help get rid of surface oil if you want but I don’t even do that.
Reading
The Traditional Boyers Bible Vol 1
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7