Author Topic: Frustrating! Any ideas?  (Read 6815 times)

Offline maitus

Re: Frustrating! Any ideas?
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2019, 07:23:47 am »
yes matius! it would be worth experimenting with a terrible board and bamboo as if it works you would be helping alot of beginners, and if it doesn't work no harm done! :BB
It wouldnt help beginners. Bamboo backed bow is not art, its a craftsman work. You just cut out dimensions and a little tillering. Art is to make bow out from stave :).
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 09:54:56 am by maitus »

Offline ohma2

« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2019, 08:48:50 am »
I agree that everyone wants to help new people succeed.but i also think that you have to do some reading and learning on your own, cant afford books ? Lybrary ,jawges site, research past posts.it does no good to keep buying bad boards and worthless staves and then ask what you did wrong more than ounce.take the time to learn a littlle on your own.i dont think anyone likes to give advice thast not listened to.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2019, 08:57:29 am »
My opinion, save and get a good stave. Trade for it, or buy one. The better the material you start with the greater the likelyhood you end up with a working, hunting weight bow. Osage, hickory, elm, hackberry, or one of the other proven bow woods. Starting with quality wood can allow you to spring forward a long ways. You can avoid some of the common issues that many newbies get caught up in. Too short, narrow, rotten, grain run off, bad knots, poor specimen in general, etc etc. You will never make a silk purse from a sows ear.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2019, 03:26:51 pm »
thanks guys SLIMBOB I will take you advice and cut some staves, do you guys think that a burlap backing will work?

P.S. Malfort I will try to PM you soon, mabey a week at most but I have some other stuff I have to do and my mailing address is tricky. Thanks!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2019, 03:47:21 pm »
You don't need  burlap, or any other backing other than air.  Good piece of wood, proper design, good technique = 5000 shots.  The idea of backing a bow to keep it together means either you started with a flaw in the back and hoped a backing would keep it together....  Don't do that, regardless of what you might read.  Or, you started out OK but ended up with a flaw in the back and hoped a backing would keep it together.  See "don't do that" above.  Yes a backing may salvage a bow that would break without it, but it may not, and you covered up a problem that you may not even be aware of, which means you didn't sharpen those tiller skills.  Those skills are in my opinion the essence of this craft.  Get them finely honed and you can back whatever you want with almost any material you want.  You just wont have to simply to keep one together.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2019, 04:08:33 pm »
ok slimbob. next bow I might back so I can get some reflex without heat and thats all i will do. there was a splinter that lifted up so I wrapped 70# catfishing string and put wood glue on it so that should work to keep it down.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2019, 06:21:01 pm »
Pope and Young backed their bows,..I think it is a valid procedure,,.not always needed,,..but effective in the right situation,,..I like both backed,,.and unpacked,,.and hunt with both,..

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2019, 06:52:36 pm »
Not arguing against the benefits of a good backing. Simply advocating for the benefits of a good back, first.

Offline maitus

« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2019, 12:39:34 am »
I back every selfbow with rawhide to protect  the outer  growth ring from mechanical damages.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2019, 06:08:03 am »
Keep practicing.  One day you wont have to.