Author Topic: warbow accuracy  (Read 6268 times)

Offline willie

warbow accuracy
« on: March 19, 2019, 04:20:49 pm »
so I have been considering a wide handled warbow-like bow for some close shooting, and hope anyone that has shot a warbow can comment on the accuracy potential or lack of it for a wide handle with no arrow pass. maybe going for 100 lbs @ about 2" wide.

Offline Mikkolaht

Re: warbow accuracy
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 02:14:41 am »
My recent 100+lb ipe laminate warbow shoots accurately, basic D style design.
It is about 1.1'' wide bow, i think if you have 2'' wide warbow it won't effect the flight of the arrow.
Just get a right type of arrows.

And if it shoots to the left, then aim right, that is what some people do ;D

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 03:21:43 am »
No need for 2" width 1 3/4 is more than enough even for whitewood bows at 100# (IMO)
Depends what you mean by close shooting.
As Mikkolaht says, with a sensible arrow you should be ok at 10 yards.
Some warbow arrows are, in an attempt to be authentic, too stiff.
Del
PS. Mind it's some time since I could pull 100 :-[
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 07:12:25 am »
I think if you are shooting a 1200gr arrow down range at 200 yards the arrow has plenty of times to stabilize before hitting the target. At hunting distances, say 10 to 25 yards your arrows will have to be tuned and spined properly for your set up and with a 2" wide bow that might be a problem.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline meanewood

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 03:45:32 pm »
As Del said, no need to go that wide.

Bow X1-3 is only 43mm wide, where as 2in = 50.8mm!

I find my X1-3 quite accurate shooting the typical 'Mary Rose' poplar arrows. That depends on what your definition of 'accurate' is!

Offline willie

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 06:09:51 pm »
I could only wish that i were still able to pull 100# Del. but the guy that is doing the shooting is considering a heavy arrow at possibly as little as ten yards. what gpp is considered heavy in the warbow world? he probably wont consider a shot past 25 yards, just looking to plant a big steel point in something that most of us would run away from.

having the arrrow straight as soon as possible is important. on second thought, 36mm may be the width at the arrowpass

Offline peacefullymadewarbows

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 06:43:29 am »
36mm isn't bad at all. Some of the yew MR bows were wider than that and they are comparatively narrow to the white wood warbows. Some thing I often do is use the stave to my advantage. Few staves are bolt straight perfect string alignment from the get go. You can decide to heat straighten or if the off center is only mild then simply use that to your advantage and make the top limb the limb that puts the string closer to the arrow pass. So you could in essence have a 45mm wide bow that shoots as if its only 30mm wide making it easier for the arrows to paradox. I've even made center shot bows that work great.  Warbow arrows still tend around 10gpp plus minus a couple. Mine aren't historically accurate by any means but are 1000-1350 grains and fly well off of 100-120# bows I use. I do think that is about where the historical arrows fell though in terms of mass. Will Sherman would know exactly what mass they averaged as he has made replicas of all sorts. Hopefully he will chime in. At that short distance you could go heavier and not notice much drop off. Hope this helps.

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 08:49:52 am »
With a 100#bow and 1000gr arrows if he could get the caribou to co-operate he could get 3 or 4 with one shot. I'm assuming he's after a Big Bear. I've heard that an arrow in their heart just makes them mad ;D ;D

Offline willie

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 04:49:22 pm »
pmwb, yes it helps, and thanks

DC, you are correct. maybe a very big broadhead on a very big arrow will help.

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2019, 06:09:06 pm »
How much does a grenade weigh? ;D ;D ;D