Author Topic: bowstring knots  (Read 1206 times)

Offline willie

bowstring knots
« on: March 19, 2019, 04:32:05 pm »
a while back, Greg PM'ed about some knots that I might have posted previously.

after some research, I found a useful knot in ashleys book of knots. if you have never seen this book, it is quite the compendium of knots and knot related info. Its out of publication now and copies are rather hard to find for a decent price. luckily it is out of copyright and view able online.

https://archive.org/details/TheAshleyBookOfKnots/page/n31             shows a traditional bowyers knot

and

https://archive.org/details/TheAshleyBookOfKnots/page/n187            shows an interesting knot that I think would be good for the

tillering string, as it is easy to adjust.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: bowstring knots
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 08:56:42 pm »
The Ashley Book of Knots is an incredible book. Thanks for the reminder.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TimBo

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 06:30:05 am »
That's a neat idea, but I don't understand the last sentence (assuming you are talking about 1030) about one leg of the bowstring being inert and made fast to the bow - are they talking about a timber hitch with really long unused length?  "Just above the grip" would be a LOT of extra length!  I am probably just misunderstanding the description and need to see a picture...

Offline gfugal

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 01:32:44 pm »
Aw man, this is Awesome! Thanks for digging a bit and finding this. So many pages with so many knots.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline willie

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 07:14:57 pm »
Timbo, I had trouble following that also.