Author Topic: Tri-Lam bows  (Read 2688 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Tri-Lam bows
« on: March 20, 2019, 03:12:16 pm »
so guys, as you've seen in my last posts, my bows haven't been that successful so i'm thinking, instead of a board bow, to build a tri lam bow. my question is, are all the layers laminate boards, or is it the back and core, or just the core. Thanks!   ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 03:19:57 pm by Deerhunter21 »
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tri-Lam bows
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 03:21:42 pm »
A tri-lam bow has 3 laminations, one for the back, one for the core and one for a belly. With the exception of a bamboo backing most other hard backings are boards as is the belly and the core.
 If you choose a board that is appropriate for a backing it would also make a selfbow.
 I think if you find an appropriate board or a good stave and take your time gingerly working out the tiller you also can build a successful bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 03:36:45 pm »
OH IDEA! I have two red oak 2x4 boards with ok grain and a maple that has a ok grain. if I made a maple, red oak, maple would it work like a big backing and make it less likely to snap? I might try it! It would definitely look purdy!

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 03:43:11 pm »
If you are having problems with board bows I would wait on a tri lam. A lot of work goes into them and when they fail it really stings. It can also hit you in the pocket book a little harder. I started making bows several years ago and got pretty good at doing tri lams. I set the hobby down for a few years and just picked it back up. My last 2 trilams weren’t all that great so I’m going back to the drawing board and am getting back in practice before I do anymore trilams.
Just a word of advice. If you are anything like me you will go ahead and try it anyway and I don’t blame you. Just don’t start off doing R/D bows from the get go.
If you haven’t already done so I would try my hand at a bamboo backed Ipe bow or something before tackling the tri lam.
Reading
The Traditional Boyers Bible Vol 1
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 03:45:04 pm »
where could I get the Ipe and Bamboo?

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 04:01:51 pm »
Some garden centers carry bamboo logs about 4" in diameter. You want a minimun of 3" so it's still wide enough after you flatten it. If you find a place that has them pick one with the minimum splits. One or two big splits is better than a bunch of little ones. Ipe is used for decking so you may find some through that angle.

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 04:04:44 pm »
ok thanks about the bamboo, but theres no ipe at home depot!  :'( no easy way out,

ccase... Your right i will probably try it. heh I feel bad for that wood.  ;D ;D Oh yea I'll try the Ipe

P.S. I wouldn't try a R/D bow even if you offered a million dollars! (yet)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 04:11:17 pm by Deerhunter21 »

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 04:11:01 pm »
Check around and see if there are any compnies that install decks.

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 04:11:10 pm »

You can order a piece of Ipe and a bamboo backing that has been selected for bows from Echo Archery.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 04:26:31 pm »
Sounds like you have the will and desire to learn. spring and summer coming up and there's primitive shoots all over the country coming up. look for ones in your area. most of the guys there are very friendly and if you show up with a good attitude will help you from beginning to end. I guarantee you will learn more in 8 hours around a bunch of other guys that are experienced then you would in months by yourself

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 04:32:08 pm »
Ill definitially do that paul! one prob. I dont have a great bow. my only one is a 20# at 26" . I havent even put 100 arrows through it and it lifted a splinter. I patched that up but I dont thing its going to last much longer. but Ill probably make a better bow before then! the shootout sound really fun! too bad Im going to miss the ojam, jamboree, and mojam.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 04:36:08 pm by Deerhunter21 »

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 08:19:40 pm »
You can order bamboo for $5 a slat from Home Depot online. It’s the same stuff the archery sites sell for $20 a pop.
Try a decking store for the ipe as you can physically select it. As mentioned online archery stores will have it. I have gotten several good pieces from Woodworks Source . You will need to call them and tell them exactly what you are looking for. Dark pieces with straight grain. They will hand select it for you.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 08:27:25 pm by ccase39 »
Reading
The Traditional Boyers Bible Vol 1
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 03:06:29 pm »
Case what search words are you using on the home depot site, or do you know the item number? I searched "bamboo" and the cheapest thing I can find is a 25 pack for $90, and my wife would skin me alive if i order $90 worth of bamboo. Individual slats for $5 a pop is alot easier to swallow.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 06:16:48 pm »
Deerhunter21 I would definitely second Paulsemp's suggestion to attend a event. They are great time. Like a family reunion only better. Lots of teaching and learning. Also a great place to pick up supplies. My first year I should have brought a little more spending money. I usually get all my supplies for the year when I go now. I even call some of the vendors to make sure they bring what I need. Lots of trades to. It's still a very inexpensive vacation and my wife loves it too. I don't know where your from but Marshall Michigan Meet is great. I haven't been to MoJam yet but a lot of those guys I've meet in Michigan. Their number 1 in my book. I honestly can't think of a single bowyer I've meet that I didn't like. Only problem is you will not want to go home and have to attend every event you possibly can.
Bjrogg
If you don't have a decent bow then you'll just have to learn how to make one there.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2019, 06:57:20 pm »
At the upcoming Tennessee Classic you can pay a reasonable fee, receive a stave and have all weekend with some of the best wood bowyers around to help you build a bow and on Sunday you get to shoot against the other Selfbow Challenge participants and possibly receive a trophy. Even if you don't win a trophy the visit to Twin Oaks is trophy enough.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC