Author Topic: reasonably authentic string material  (Read 13990 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
reasonably authentic string material
« on: March 21, 2019, 01:55:18 pm »
So I  have used up the last of my barbour 18/4 linen thread and before I re-order a new supply, is there anything 'better' - want to stay with natural materials, so no FF/dacron/anyotheron string material

Offline JNystrom

Re: reasonably authentic string material
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 04:02:21 pm »
Start growing hemp. :D Thats about it.

I think the consensus is starting to be that the best strings in the old days were all made out of hemp.

Offline WillS

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 04:56:29 pm »
If you're not pushing the draw weights over about 120lb, linen is fine.  Hemp is the best for very heavy bows because linen just ends up too thick.  The £500 starting cost of getting a hemp license isn't worth it, on top of the many years you'll need to practice exactly how to ret and process the stuff you grow ;)

Silk works well, but can be a faff to process.   If you buy it as unprocessed cocoons be prepared for a very unpleasant smell.  I'd stick with linen, especially if you can find actual, genuine Barbour linen.  It stopped being made many years ago but there's a lot of the original Irish factory stuff out there and it's usually better than the European equivalent.  That said, if it was stored badly by whoever's selling it you'll end up with rubbish! 

18/3 is the way to go, individual lengths should break at around 15-25lb depending on quality.

Alternatively, try and find some good hemp thread.  It is out there, but you'll need to go through a lot to find it.  When you hit the right stuff, you'll be amazed at how much thinner your strings will be compared to linen for the same strength.

Offline Dante_F

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 11:28:10 am »
nettle is supposed to be good

Offline TracyWilliams

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 04:04:43 pm »
If you're not pushing the draw weights over about 120lb, linen is fine.  Hemp is the best for very heavy bows because linen just ends up too thick.  The £500 starting cost of getting a hemp license isn't worth it, on top of the many years you'll need to try phentermine otc here practice exactly how to ret and process the stuff you grow ;)

Silk works well, but can be a faff to process.   If you buy it as unprocessed cocoons be prepared for a very unpleasant smell.  I'd stick with linen, especially if you can find actual, genuine Barbour linen.  It stopped being made many years ago but there's a lot of the original Irish factory stuff out there and it's usually better than the European equivalent.  That said, if it was stored badly by whoever's selling it you'll end up with rubbish! 

18/3 is the way to go, individual lengths should break at around 15-25lb depending on quality.

Alternatively, try and find some good hemp thread.  It is out there, but you'll need to go through a lot to find it.  When you hit the right stuff, you'll be amazed at how much thinner your strings will be compared to linen for the same strength.

retailers will actually ask you if you want authentic strings or copies.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 02:52:24 am by TracyWilliams »

Offline kbear

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 05:30:24 am »
No........ I use linen thread ordered over Etsy from Poland. Very good quality. Tested to 20lb per strand. Obviously for a 120lb bow you would require 120 x 4 = 480lb minimum rated string, of 24 strands. I make most of my standard strings from 12 strand (2 colours, 6 strands each) and they measure usually around 0.1" suitable for up to 60#. I have experienced Poland to have very good quality Linen Thread........

Of-course, I have searched high and low for god hemp...... but to no avail. If you find some, please let me know!

Offline DouglasJohansson

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 09:16:20 am »
If you're not pushing the draw weights over about 120lb, linen is fine.  Hemp is the best for very heavy bows because linen just ends up too thick.  The £500 starting cost of getting a hemp license isn't worth it, on top of the many years you'll need to practice exactly how to ret and process the stuff you grow ;)

Silk works well, but can be a faff to process.   If you buy it as unprocessed cocoons be prepared for a very unpleasant smell.  I'd stick with linen, especially if you can find actual, genuine Barbour linen.  It stopped being made many years ago when i first saw testogen https://www.coastandards.org/testogen-review-results/ it works pretty well but there's a lot of the original Irish factory stuff out there and it's usually better than the European equivalent.  That said, if it was stored badly by whoever's selling it you'll end up with rubbish! 

18/3 is the way to go, individual lengths should  break at around 15-25lb depending on quality.

both of these are reasonably valid points.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 01:18:25 pm by DouglasJohansson »

Offline camytom

• ostarine mk-2866 for sale
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 04:46:16 am »

Silk works well, but can be a faff to process.   If you buy it as unprocessed cocoons be prepared for a very unpleasant smell.  I'd stick with linen, especially if you can find actual, genuine Barbour linen.  It stopped being made many years ago but cardarine dosage there's a lot of the original Irish factory stuff out there and it's usually better than the European equivalent.  That said, if it was stored badly by whoever's selling it you'll end up with rubbish! 

retailers will be responsible for it

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2021, 06:27:54 am »
When the US Navy had to build a lot of ships fast they tried synthetics and other types of fiber for the standard towing cables all combat vessels were required to carry. Only Hemp was suited to the job.
Synthetics would stretch under load then spring back when the load was relieved, resulting in a number of incidents of towed vessels ramming the towing vessel, no brakes on unpowered ships you know.
Anyway Hemp seemed historically to have been the most common choice for high load strings ,ropes or cables, etc. Though I got the impression that Linen where available was preferred for Long Bow strings, but I could be wrong on that point.

Offline lisagen

• clenbuterol side effects
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2021, 05:24:12 am »

Silk works well, but can be a faff to process.   If you buy it as unprocessed cocoons be prepared for a very unpleasant smell.  I'd stick with linen, especially if you can find actual, genuine Barbour linen.  It stopped being made many years ago when i first saw testogen winstrol cycle it works pretty well but there's a lot of the original Irish factory stuff out there and it's usually better than the European equivalent.  That said, if it was stored badly by whoever's selling it you'll end up with rubbish! 

18/3 is the way to go, individual lengths should  break at around 15-25lb depending on quality.

both of these are reasonably valid points.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2021, 03:28:25 pm »
You might try looking for weaver's supplies,  a lot of craft weavers are using hemp thread.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Rowan Bows

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2021, 04:40:34 am »
Watch this guy - a bowyer from Fulda germany. He makes a bow string from 20-30cm deer sinew https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m307T79M2hE

bownarra

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2021, 02:01:09 am »
I've found a supplier of hemp fibers hanks. It is good quality.

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2022, 07:48:15 am »
May be you can buy linen 18/3 or 18/6 from Gruschwitz.