Author Topic: Iowa rock sources  (Read 2186 times)

Offline paulc

Iowa rock sources
« on: March 22, 2019, 06:11:45 am »
Morning All, a geologist sent this link to me.  http://www.rollinghillsconsulting.com/county-chert-maps/?fbclid=IwAR0lrzApHFfpRcz9HuBZZ9CEi4ZPcORhXHLLgeWyAN_jGAkASPXDBRLUARU 

Let me know if you use the resource and find any rock worth knapping.

Thanks Paul

Offline 1442

Re: Iowa rock sources
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 10:42:00 pm »
that's like a treasure map
I'd sure like to go try it out

Offline paulc

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 08:53:53 am »
Yeah, I have found something similar for here in GA that I have only tried out once...can't wait to get out and look with effort.  And of course now next time I visit my folks I'm borrowing the car for a day...P

Offline paulc

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 04:55:02 pm »
I got to spend a weekend with family in IA and took some time to use the map above to go looking for stone.  Didn't find a ton but definitely some knappable stuff...So far it is not the quality of stuff that I buy online but then collecting it myself if more interesting than buying online.  No big pieces but I might get a hunting point or two out of this.  The pics is a small bit of the gravel I picked out of a culvert where creek went under a road between corn fields.  The map above is worth some time checking out if you have a day to burn.  Do some checking on private property/trespassing if you want to really play by the rules. 

Paul