Author Topic: want to make Fibreglass horse Bow - what laminations ??  (Read 9892 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: want to make Fibreglass horse Bow - what laminations ??
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2019, 11:34:37 am »
HI Guys

Thanks for the Laughs - I have gone ahead and made my Glass - horse bow , came out very nice , still needs little work but almost finished .
Have listed some pics on another site and put link here - But guess no-one interested anyway as used fibreglass

http://www.tradgang.com/tgsmf/index.php?topic=167160.new#new

Hahahah
thanks Mark

They beat you up on Tradgang just the same as here because you cut a shelf in YOUR bow. I wish people would stop all the nit picking. Its one reason I rarely contribute to bow building sites anymore. I understand separating glass bows from wood bows on this site. But then somebody always wants to further separate wood bows into four more categories to suit their own views. I think you made a fine bow and I hope you enjoy it. That is why you made it. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline globalmark

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2019, 04:26:38 pm »
Hi Pearl Drums

Thanks for those kind words - i have thick skin so dont mind what people say - and like cooking i never follow a recipe anyway do what i feel is right -
Horse bows dont have Glass anyway so a shelf really dont make a difference Hahaha -
I agree you can always separate into more categories ..
I enjoy making things more then shooting Bows so for me that's the enjoyment ..

Thanks again
mark

Offline sleek

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2019, 05:20:08 pm »
Im looking fwd to seeing it strung and finished!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2019, 06:04:26 pm »
Nice looking bow Mark.  Let us know how she shoots.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2019, 10:27:31 pm »
Real glass came along not too long after real wood bows, or so!  Health warning!!  It is much safer to remove the horn from the critter before attempting to drink from the horn - the critter may strenuously object!!  Hope the bow shoots well!  See my reply to Irishjay's post.  I am trying to find a good drinking horn at the same time I have money/trade goods to acquire it! >:D (lol)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2019, 10:50:05 pm »
I want to make a rifle. Any advise is welcome! How much gunpowder should i use?  8)
Maitus, if it is to be center fire, by all means stay below about 40 grains or so depending on load data!  If it is a muzzleloader, you can go up to about 150 gr 2Fg with a round ball, in a .58 caliber-however, expect a rather severe kick to your shoulder.  That was Mario Medina's favorite load from his .58 cal. Hawken rifle.  Btw, (war story) (grain of salt required) a couple guys told me they would reload 7.62x39mm ammo with C4 explosive and leave it for bait for the Veit Cong.  Never heard about any test results, though! >:D
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2019, 05:15:56 am »
That bow looks good to me. And for what it's worth, James Parker makes a hybrid horse bow for people that can't afford a real one. He uses glass in place of sinew and horn on the belly. They shoot great, I have one.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sleek

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2019, 05:22:36 am »
I want to make a rifle. Any advise is welcome! How much gunpowder should i use?  8)
Maitus, if it is to be center fire, by all means stay below about 40 grains or so depending on load data!  If it is a muzzleloader, you can go up to about 150 gr 2Fg with a round ball, in a .58 caliber-however, expect a rather severe kick to your shoulder.  That was Mario Medina's favorite load from his .58 cal. Hawken rifle.  Btw, (war story) (grain of salt required) a couple guys told me they would reload 7.62x39mm ammo with C4 explosive and leave it for bait for the Veit Cong.  Never heard about any test results, though! >:D
Hawkdancer

I have heard of stuff like that before. Its probably true. Cyanide laced wine being left comes to mind as well.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others