Author Topic: reworked leftovers  (Read 647 times)

Offline 1442

reworked leftovers
« on: March 23, 2019, 02:14:39 pm »
Made both of these from broken biface sections
the Georgetown blade is thick for a special request.
The notches stalled

Offline 1442

Re: reworked leftovers
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 05:13:08 pm »
this is a biface that I skint out of a piece of gravel. it was extraordinarily tough so I put it in a turkey roaster close to the edge and cranked up the heat to max for twenty four hours. If that helped it any I couldn't tell it. It was still tough, so I elected to use the ol 3/8" copper rod held under the knee indirect.
Heres the biface then the rod   shown with the biface with edges beveled and ground.
the last pic shows a stack getting started which I felt like was due to not enough grinding

Offline 1442

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 05:47:48 pm »
I ground the edges more and was able to remove the stack and kept going.
That seemed to work well but when I tried to flake off the deltas the flakes would hinge
second pic has the edges pressure flaked and beveled to flake the other side

Offline 1442

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 05:54:06 pm »
first pic is the indirect pass on the second side. This time I would take one or two small alignment flakes inbetween the bigger flakes, This kept the deltas from remaining and made a better overall finish that pressure flaked better than the first side too.
second and third pics are the finished blade.

Offline Deerhunter21

• No grudges held, just lessons learned
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 07:33:35 pm »
Nice! I tried flint knapping the other day and ALMOST got a small weird arrowhead. then... well I don't know? I just stopped and did something else!? well that's weird. one sec I got to think real hard about something. ??? ??? ??? ???
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money." Cree Native-American Proverb

A amature practices untill he gets it right. A master practices untill he never gets it wrong.

Russell

Offline 1442

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 10:32:55 pm »
dang,
I stop what I'm doing sometimes to flint knap :)
I hate having to stop flintknapping to do something else, that's just backwards :-\