Author Topic: Blueberry shoots  (Read 5998 times)

Offline TSA

• www.trueshaftarchery.com
Re: Blueberry shoots
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2019, 09:43:02 am »
Eric, as a side note- thats a very interesting shaft straightener.
i imagine that it works really well with heat and the applied pressure.
Did you build it?
do you have any other threads related to the little unit?

this far NW, anybody who plants Blue berries here- the bushes never get more than about 3' high.
i will ask what varieties they have here. Our soils are very acidic, around 5 to 5.5 PH, lots of rain,  around plus 5c in the winters to max of 25c in the summers

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2019, 12:30:12 pm »
I'm going to check out the Rabbit eye varieties as well, and a couple of self pollinators. I'll re-read the CSU report and probably try a couple of the varieties they planted.  As far as I know, that project is on going in Longmont.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2019, 01:01:08 pm »
The shaft straighter is a standard aluminum arrow straightener from when people shot aluminum instead of carbon. It once had a dial indicator with a plunger to show minute bends in a shaft, I lost some of the tiny screws in the back of the dial indicator so I took it off. I got really good with it and could straighten almost any aluminum shaft back to perfect if I spent enough time.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2019, 11:03:57 pm »
Apparently, there are some differences in the high-bush varieties.  Some have a southern flair and others are better suited to cooler climates!  Time will tell, and if I get berries, I will put nets over them!  And maybe get a live trap to get around city ordinances!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2019, 05:33:56 am »
Good looking arrows Eric, should make some good ones with a little time and efforts, but that is what will make them special. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2019, 06:05:32 am »
I have found these shoots taper too much from tip to tip, the nock end gets down to about 1/4" with the point end being 3/8" and they still spine out very high. The small end is pretty wimpy and easily bent.

I have one much thicker shoot that I am going to chuck up in my drill land sand down to be more even from end to end and see how that turns out.

I probably threw a dozen of these on my burn pile before I thought of making shafts from them. I will be more selective next year now that I know their characteristics.