Author Topic: Snakey Osage limb crack  (Read 4395 times)

Offline Hamish

Re: Snakey Osage limb crack
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2019, 06:22:41 pm »
I would first superglue the crack, then sinew the entire back, then specifically sinew wrap the weak point as well.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2019, 06:57:28 pm »
Therein lies the biggest problem. That’s a lot of work....to mend a broken wing...for a bird that may never fly again. Still, if you want to give it a go, might work.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2019, 07:21:14 pm »
sinewing the whole bow is alot of work, and I am not sure that is needed for that one spot,,if thats what it took to make it work I would do that,,sometimes success takes a bit of risk,,,
anytime we make a bow, there is a chance it might not work,,even on a seemingly perfect stave,,
you have at least two experienced bow makers that think a wrap will work,,,,
and have fixed similar issues,,
if you want to send the bow to me,, I will pay the shipping both ways and fix it,,I am not afraid to try it,, :)
     I dont really see it as a big problem,, a sinew wrap is not too much work really,,that being said, on those snakey ones,, a rawhide back can help on the curvy areas trying to split,,and a rawhide back is easy to put on,, and wont hurt performance,,
    ok just one bow story and Im done sorry for the long post,, I dry fired one of the first sinew backed recurves I made,,it was my favorite hunting bow,, it blew into at the handle,,well I was sick,, when  your bow is in two pieces its hopeless,, well I sinewed it back together, ,didnt look pretty,, its still shooting today,, that was 15 years ago,,

« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 07:37:10 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2019, 08:12:21 pm »
That’s part of the beauty in all this. We spend all this time making wood bows. Certainly for most of I think, time spent on them is not seen as a bad thing. It isn’t for me anyway. I too have taken a flyer on a bow with less than good odds, and some of those were worth the effort and some probably weren’t. I would never tell anyone that they “should not” attempt a fix like this. It’s your time and you can spend it as you see fit. No right or wrong decision here. My opinion...I think that’s a bad kind of break on a spot that appears to be under some stress due to the shape of that limb. If you think the time spent on it worth it....that’s all that matters. I would hope you can salvage it and get a bow out of as that is a cool looking stick. I’ll be rooting for your success.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2019, 08:28:28 pm »
Could be dicey, if it was mine I would chuk it in the burn pile.
I would put it on Etsy and let some hipster buy it to decorate so he can show his friends how rustic he is. Anything but burn it!
Reading
The Traditional Boyers Bible Vol 1
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline ohma2

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2019, 09:50:28 am »
I too say wrap it ,i have fixed more than one gluing and wrapping with upholstery thread. As Brad  said match the other limb and it looks pretty nice.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2019, 01:43:03 pm »
My take;  repairing bows is just another facet of the bow making craft. I have spliced in new limbs, repaired numerous cracked bows, and backed and retillered a bunch of horribly made bows that my friends owned, I didn't make them.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2019, 04:30:45 pm »
Looks to me like the grain ran off the edge of the bow. Sometimes with snaky bows it is hard to shape the bow, especially at a snake like that without grain run offs. Sounds like you have gotten some sound repair advise though. Good luck.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline uncleduck

• Dave W
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2019, 07:16:33 pm »
I plan on trying the super glue/braid wrap repair. Bare with me; it might take a while as I'm out of town for work. It seems the grain does run out there a bit, but I'm not entirely sure how that would ever be avoidable even with perfectly straight grain, as the limb is tapering towards the tip? Anywho, this crack developed in storage (likely too dry?), not under stress, so hopefully if I get it glued up and back to proper moisture content prior to stressing it, it might hold? At the very least, the wrap will hopefully slow down the limb tip if it pops at full draw haha

Unfortunately, its been about 2 years since I worked it last so I can't exactly remember where it was in draw length, but I for sure had it braced and somewhere near finished weight, maybe a few inches shy of full draw. I read somewhere before, "It's just a piece of wood until it's a bow" so that will be how I approach it. It will be a good test as I jump back into bowmaking.

I will be sure to post pics when I get it back up and running! Thanks for the advice!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2019, 09:34:45 pm »
The stresses on a snaky limb are very different from those on a straight limb. Being able to control those stresses through the bends is what makes a snaky bow so cool(and successful)but allowing the stresses to overcome your ability is something you have to overcome if you want the bow to hold together. This comes from someone who has not successfully built many snaky bows.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2019, 04:13:57 am »
It ain't broke til it's broke... try the fix, you got plenty of work invested in it already, a little extra and she may be good.
If it wants to be a bow it'll hold up for you.  :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2019, 04:49:20 am »
I would try and narrow the limb a bit to at least try and get the worst run out out of it, then match the other limb /glue and wrap. Bows with that much snake in them tend to toque in the snake and will try and open up. I would definitely try and repair it but wrap alone in that area of the limb and with the run off may not hold. I may be a little different , but I try if I have a problem area to get all the bad junk away and see what is left, then make a bow with what I have left. Wall hangers are for me so they either make a shooting bow or cook brats with what is left. ;) Good luck, beautiful stave. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2019, 07:39:15 pm »
yes Pappy, they do try to come apart,,

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2019, 06:04:14 am »
Are there other crack there too or just the one  big one?

My first thought was remove the  crack going from the bottom to the edge using a draw knife and then retillering.

But wrapping will work too.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline sleek

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2019, 06:07:53 am »
How long is that stave?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others