Author Topic: High gear/low gear  (Read 49115 times)

Offline sleek

Re: High gear/low gear
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2019, 11:03:06 am »
Using that logic, the first part of the bow that moves upon release should be built in a way that has high torque, is good to get weight moving, the last part of the bow to move should be built in such a way that low energy is most effecient at moving an arrow whose weight is being affected by its speed. 
We're going to have to disagree on that. I can't see how one part of the bow will start moving before another. That said, I can still see that the energy may be delivered to tha arrow at a varying rate depending on whether the leverage of the limbs(gearing) changes as the limb travels home.

I say that because if the resistance of the arrows weight against the tips.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline DC

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2019, 11:07:15 am »
So you think the weight of the arrow holds the tips back and so the inner limb moves first?

Offline sleek

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2019, 11:17:40 am »
So you think the weight of the arrow holds the tips back and so the inner limb moves first?

I think it can, in conjunction with the mass of the limbs. But, the tips could be made to move first...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 11:24:57 am by sleek »

Offline DC

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2019, 11:26:00 am »
If the tips are held back how do the inner limbs know when to move? They can't move until the tips do because that's where the string is holding them from.

Offline sleek

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2019, 11:29:12 am »
If the tips are held back how do the inner limbs know when to move? They can't move until the tips do because that's where the string is holding them from.

They move when the ristance to them is less than the force they are pushing with.  Think of an arrow. On release, the entire thing doesn't move at once. The nock moves first, head last, causing the paradox we are so familiar with.

Offline DC

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2019, 11:34:04 am »
The resistance will never be less until the tips move. I think an arrow backward to this. The string is pulling on the tip of the bow but it's pushing on an arrow.

Offline sleek

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2019, 11:35:24 am »
Think about the g forces everuthing is under when an arrow is pushed to over 100 mph in a fraction of a second. Weight matters. An arrows weight WILL slkw a bow limb down that isnt under much stress.

Offline DC

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2019, 11:36:10 am »
My coffee's in the garage and my tunes are turned on. I'll catch up with this later.

Offline sleek

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2019, 11:39:28 am »
The resistance will never be less until the tips move. I think an arrow backward to this. The string is pulling on the tip of the bow but it's pushing on an arrow.

Ok, i see your point. The tips gadda move or the arrow wont. Im saying that the part if the bow under most tension must transfer and will transfere its energy to the tips before any part with less energy storage will. I was illustrating that poorly by referencing the part of bow that bends first releases last. Id better say the part of the bow that stores the most energy releases it first. Thinking of entropy here... The greater the potential difference in energry storage the harder it pushes, and will take precidence over lesser energy storage areas.

There is the possiblity that upon release, the bows energy storage equalizes instantly, all parts of the bow limb disperse energy equally ( taking into acount that a smaller area cant hold as much as a larger area) among the limbs mass.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 11:46:56 am by sleek »

Offline sleek

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2019, 11:48:28 am »
All this is just thoughts in progress, i dont have it figured out yet. Im just happy to have a good enough underatanding that i can think of queations to ask, usually i dont even have the question, darn the answers.

Offline PatM

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2019, 11:54:14 am »
all kinds of good video on Tuomo's  channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj64_33-zJU

Offline PatM

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2019, 11:56:48 am »

Offline sleek

« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2019, 12:07:47 pm »
Thought experiment: Applying arrow paradox to bow limbs on release. The most motivated part of a bows limb will move first and may move faster than the limbs tips. This loads the other parts of the limbs with energy until all energy is spread equally across the limb. Under slow motion, it probably looks like a wave. If the timing of this wave could be done correctly, the tips would be be at tje crest right when brace heightis hit, snapping the last of the energy into the arrow.

Offline DC

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2019, 01:21:28 pm »

There is the possiblity that upon release, the bows energy storage equalizes instantly, all parts of the bow limb disperse energy equally ( taking into acount that a smaller area cant hold as much as a larger area) among the limbs mass.

I'm with this or at least something very similar to this :D

Thought experiment: Applying arrow paradox to bow limbs on release. The most motivated part of a bows limb will move first and may move faster than the limbs tips. This loads the other parts of the limbs with energy until all energy is spread equally across the limb. Under slow motion, it probably looks like a wave. If the timing of this wave could be done correctly, the tips would be be at tje crest right when brace heightis hit, snapping the last of the energy into the arrow.

I don't think that you can compare paradox with this. I think one is pushing and the other is pulling but I could be wrong. More thinking needed.

I don't think it moves first but it may move faster. I think the end result would be the same, your wave. But I can't agree to this and everything instantly evening out like you said above. Even more thinking. >:(

Offline Woodely

« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2019, 01:24:30 pm »
Its all about the arc of the circle the tips are last to arrive home.  Makes sense.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."