Author Topic: Maple Backed Yew R/D Molle  (Read 7226 times)

Offline DC

Maple Backed Yew R/D Molle
« on: March 27, 2019, 10:27:23 am »
This is the bow from the "New Project" thread. It's 60" TTT measured directly. Working limbs are 2" wide tapering 14" to 1 1/2". Yew billets spliced and deflexed about 8°. Total reflex 3 1/2". Levers are Yew spliced on with 3" "V" joints reinforced with Peruvian Walnut. Wraps on the limbs are due to a small popped splinter on the lower limb, upper is decorative. Tips are Peruvian Walnut. Handle is a leather wrap.
It's 38#@28". Shoots 10ggp@179fps(down 3fps from pre-finishing) and 8gpp@198fps(same as pre-finishing, strange). Big hooks make it a pain to brace but I had very little string alignment issues. Just one tiny heat twist. Sorry my pictures aren't up to Weylins, but you get what you pay for ;D

Offline DC

Re: Maple Backed Yew R/D Molle
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 10:29:00 am »
More

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 10:30:06 am »
FD. I heard a little noise when I drew it to take this picture. Couldn't make it happen again.

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 11:19:10 am »
Maybe the CA flexing and cracking on the wraps?

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 11:23:52 am »
I used hide glue, but I was wondering the same thing. I'll go shoot it for a while. See if I make a two piece ;D

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 11:36:26 am »
 :OK Very nice, well done.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 11:57:58 am »
100 arrows, I gave up before it did. I seems to have a bit of negative tiller now. I'll have to back and fix that after a few hundred more shots. It shoots nice though.

Offline maitus

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 12:21:17 pm »
Fantastic bow. Not simple design but my favorite. Looks like 3 lam bow.... beautiful! And.... it is fast :D !!!

Im curious about brace height and width of the handle in point where the arrow is touching the handle, because i have similar bow to tiller. One inch shorter than Yours :).
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 12:36:40 pm by maitus »

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 12:40:54 pm »
If you're really worried about the noise it made you could always send it to me. I'll put a couple thousand arrows through it, maybe shoot a couple of deer, you know, for safety.  (-S
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline Dante_F

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 12:54:07 pm »
i've always wondered about a recurved molle i wonder how it would word when reflexed?

Offline Woodely

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 01:03:17 pm »
All in all she looks fabulous.  "FD. I heard a little noise when I drew it to take this picture. Couldn't make it happen again."   I have heard that dreaded tick noise a few times, and thought it was just the backing or glue somewhere. This is why I Inspect my bows with a magnifying glass from tip to tip, only takes a minute.  Shoot the bow 50-100 times check it re shoot it and recheck it re shoot it and recheck it.  After a while you will know every imperfection on that bow if you have any.  Sometimes a stress crack will be hidden behind the backing or somewhere like that.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline PatM

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 01:07:27 pm »
i've always wondered about a recurved molle i wonder how it would word when reflexed?

You mean like a  Finno-Ugrian bow?  ;)

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 01:18:58 pm »
Fantastic bow. Not simple design but my favorite. Looks like 3 lam bow.... beautiful! And.... it is fast :D !!!

Im curious about brace height and width of the handle in point where the arrow is touching the handle, because i have similar bow to tiller. One inch shorter than Yours :).
I never noticed how low the brace height was until I went out to shoot it after I took the pictures. It was about an inch low in the pictures. It's about 6.5" now. The handle is 1 1/8" wide at the arrow pass(could be less) but it's offset to make it more center shot. You can see it in the picture. Arrow pass is upper right. I stole this idea from Marc St Louis

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 01:31:26 pm »
wait. what do you mean you heard a little noise when drawing?
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline maitus

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2019, 01:31:37 pm »

Arrow pass is upper right. I stole this idea from Marc St Louis

Thank You, DC! And i will steal this idea from You :D ....