Author Topic: Barge Cement/ contact cement  (Read 2734 times)

Offline DC

Barge Cement/ contact cement
« on: March 26, 2019, 11:11:03 am »
Barge cement is contact cement, right? You usually let contact cement dry before joining the surfaces. I've seen handle wrap videos where they don't seem to let Barge dry first, they just put it on and then wrap. I'm assuming they are counting on the volatile solvents evaporating through(porous) the leather. If so, will this work with any contact cement?

Offline aja0

Re: Barge Cement/ contact cement
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 11:48:46 am »
I was just researching this because I just installed a beaver tail grip.  Barge cement is rubber cement not contact cement.  Very different.  Contact cement is quite permanent.  Rubber cement can usually be peeled off wood.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 12:52:41 pm »
That would make a difference all right. Thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 01:08:53 pm »
Barge cement is a contact glue. Typically you do let both surfaces dry first but once you put them together they are stuck. Maybe they are putting it together wet so they have more working time. On a handle wrap it isn't that critical as long as it and the stitching hold the handle wrap on. I've also used Weldwood contact cement, basically the same as barge, used for laminate counter tops.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 03:33:35 pm »
Did you assemble it wet or did you let it dry first? It was the 3 Rivers video I was watching.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 03:44:54 pm »
Barge's cement is rubber cement that is thicker then other styles of contact cement. Allowing for more porous materials to be used. Do one side and put on wet semi-permeant. Two sides let dry she be stuck.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 05:18:59 pm »
Barge is designed for leather and I find it superior to other contact cements for attaching a handle leather. I don't stitch my handles, just glue them on.

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 08:37:45 am »
Eric, do you put it on wet or follow the instructions?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2019, 06:46:41 am »
I let the glue dry on handle and leather before I stick them together. I had a handle tutorial out there somewhere that showed my process but photobucket zapped it.

Update, I checked and found the photobucket pictures are back on my tutorial.

This is a link to another site and a No No so mods delete if necessary, it is a good tutorial for a non stitched grip.

http://www.tradgang.com/tgsmf/index.php?topic=108891.0
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 06:52:34 am by Eric Krewson »