Author Topic: Limb Tips  (Read 1534 times)

Offline Woodely

Limb Tips
« on: March 28, 2019, 01:01:01 pm »
I have a couple bows that need the limb tips reduced in width.  On average how much speed do you hope to gain.   And/or does the bow have better cast or any other performance gains.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline sleek

Re: Limb Tips
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 01:11:52 pm »
DC recently found out that it requires a lot of tip mass for a few fps gain. The biggest difference you may notice is handshock.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Woodely

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 01:13:41 pm »
Kind of what I thought about handshock but had to ask.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 01:28:23 pm »
I'm going to have to hedge a bit and say I think it depends on how much there is to take off. Woodley, you've seen my bows and have wondered about my skinny tips. My tips have always been skinny, I liked the look even before I started thinking about performance. That said when I reduced them I didn't have that much to take off. If your tips are substantially overweight there may be a good chance of gaining some fps.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 05:47:42 pm »
yes I think you will see a positive difference,,

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 04:57:35 am »
You can reduce the tip weight by narrowing the tips but be sure you have enough thickness to keep them rigid.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 05:02:27 am »
Probably notice the difference if shooting light flight arrows, not so much otherwise.
But it makes sense to remove unnecessary weight. Would you rather have 50 grains excess on the tips or an extra 50grains on the arrow head. (I do realise that the tips only move at about 1/3 the speed of the arrow... e.g on a 28" draw the limb tips only come back about 8", but string and tips recover in the same time)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.