Author Topic: My 2018 season *Tagged Out*  (Read 4779 times)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
My 2018 season *Tagged Out*
« on: March 28, 2019, 04:14:09 pm »
This year I’ve been fortunate enough to fill all the tags that I had bought this year.
Since my accident back in mid 2016 it has forced me to sit still longer in one place than I normally would.
Instead of calling, waiting and moving on I’ve been more planted and I would like to think that it’s contributed to seeing more than I use to.
The season started off good with nice deer I posted about in September http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,64251.0.html
Got the velvet off and the euro all done as well.

After that I was lucky enough to call in a 250lb sow to about 28yards. She started snapping her jaw at me which started to make me a tad nervous. She wouldn’t turn broadside and kept walking cautiously towards me. So I had to put one through her chest.
I also managed to get some fur this year. One of which was a beautiful ditch dog at about 20ish yards. I don’t think she even saw me when she was running by.
Finally our cow elk season rolled around. After a week or two only seeing herds just before dark I was getting worried that their pattern was going to stick to being nocturnal. Then one afternoon I was texting Carson and Weylin when I heard what sounded like an avalanche from the thick tree line behind me. Then it just erupted with elk. They where running past me, no further that 40 yards. With me was my trusty Tennessee .50 cal:)
There was a few nice branch bulls and even the lead bull was over 6 but I only had a cow tag:)
I watched for a good 5-10 mins as the herd of 50 or something weaved in and out from one another. I spotted a cow that didn’t have a calf and clearly wasn’t pregnant. At around 90-100 yards they weren’t getting any closer. She finally stepped far enough out from the group and I was able to get a shot off. I don’t like quartering forward shots but I felt okay about my position. The shot was sent and got the left lung and the back side of the right. She expired quickly which is always a relief.
Anyways scored some tasty tongue and the freezers are topped off for me and the family:)
Here’s a few pics
Take care!

« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 05:46:44 pm by Bryce »
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline DC

Re: My 2018 season *Tagged Out*
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 06:25:27 pm »
Good on ya! Good stuff.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 08:53:01 am »
Congratulations Bryce. Fantastic hunting. I have a really good buddy who has been in a chair since a farm accident several years ago. He loves hunting for ground hogs. He's the most patient hunter I know by far.
Bjrogg
PS I didn't fill all my tags. I'm really not sure I ever have. Nice accomplishment.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 11:43:38 am by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 06:58:49 pm »
Thanks don:)

Yeah I’m still workin on getting outta this thing but my strategy for hunting has drastically changed and it seems for the better. If I ever get back to wondering again I’ll most definitely still stick to the ‘sitting and waiting waaaaaaaaay longer than I like to’ technique. I’ve also started alternating between my electronic and breath predator calls instead of just using the foxpro 100% but I do run out of breath and end up running it anyways so I can take a break 😂😎😄

I’ve never filled all my tags either until this year. I usually grab a deer and elk tag and fill one or the other. This year I bought 4 filled 4. One of which was a lion (couldn’t get it loaded on imgur some sort of error code) in the early spring. The good ole boys where during Dow old logging roads while I was mounted in my seat in the truck bed. She ran across the road and he slowed down enough and it was just standing there just past the ditch staring at us, idk what I’ll do with it. Rug or throw I’m undecided. Good lord what a rant ✌🏼
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 07:50:56 pm »
Bryce, you sure give us encouragement. We all need to quit our bitchin and just do it.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 10:46:22 pm »
Way to go!  Bear skin rug! As long as you don't have any dogs around! >:D. Mine tend to like to chew leather and skins!  Will send a pm.  Btw, just figured out I often fat knuckle my keyboard and end up with a period and capita letter out of nowhere (lol) >:D!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 07:30:17 am »
Congrats! Helluva accomplishment.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline StickMark

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 06:36:30 pm »
plus 1 on the patience.  Impressive.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 01:51:32 pm »
Bryce, you sure give us encouragement. We all need to quit our bitchin and just do it.  ;)

Lol who’s bitch’n? You? No way 😂🤣 well all I can say is I’ve never loved hunting more than I do with a wood bow and a stone point. So much so that I’m always looking for new ways to incorporate it into my life. I think this next season I’m gonna hang up the shotgun and see if I can’t score a few snow geese.

Way to go!  Bear skin rug! As long as you don't have any dogs around! >:D. Mine tend to like to chew leather and skins!  Will send a pm.  Btw, just figured out I often fat knuckle my keyboard and end up with a period and capita letter out of nowhere (lol) >:D!
Hawkdancer

I would love to do a rug but it seems like Taxidermy prices go up $100 sq/ft every year. Plus I like to take the spring time and do some hide tanning. I have two bears in the freezer right now, the small one I think will be a quiver and the large one will just be something I throw on the back of my big leather recliner in the den. But the lion will definitely be a rug, right next to the other rugs lol

Congrats! Helluva accomplishment.
plus 1 on the patience.  Impressive.

Thank you. Yes patients! A few times while calling I was frustrated from not seeing anything and then after awhile of sitting I would see a bobcat or something else walking away, never knowing they where even there. Animals are sneaking amongst the ferns
Clatskanie, Oregon